Future python plans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezza09

Reaction score
Unfortunately my Murray Darling became unwell and passed away recently, Ava was the perfect snake, never struck, great to feed and handle

While im not planning on getting another python straight away I think eventually I will get another snake

I had another python Oscar a Bredli named for his temperament, he struck a lot, bit me a lot but was absolutely beautiful to look at
I moved him onto a keeper who had a lot more time to spend handling him as I had young kids in the house and didn’t want them bitten.

I’ve always been fond of Black and Gold Jungles especially the vibrant yellow ones but have heard they can be snappy?

Pondering the options for the future

Jungle pythons are a hit or miss, but so is any snake really. I have a Jungle python of my own and he was an absolute sweetheart for a while. I say was because I handle him a lot less frequently now with the addition of new snakes. Even now though he still refuses to bite, he can be a bit of a grump and isn’t super fond of touch at the moment and will hiss to let me know but it’s all bluff and he never strikes at me. I leave him alone for the most part but if I got back into regular handling I’m sure he would get back to how he was before (which was absolutely perfect, no hissing and happy to be handled).

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, every snake is different. I have 5 children’s pythons which are renowned for being lovely snakes to handle and are often described as pretty friendly. Only 4 out of 5 fit this description. One of them, Sosig, pronounced sausage (named a silly name out of spite for her sassy attitude) is an absolute terror. I still love her to pieces and personally don’t mind her nastiness, I find it quite funny because I know she can’t do any damage being as small as she is but I seriously can’t even stick my hand in her enclosure without her trying to bite me.

The main thing you should take from this is get the snake you want, there’s a risk of getting a not so nice one in any species. You could either get a hatchling and try to get it used to handling, hoping it grows out of an attitude but then again some snakes don’t even have an attitude to begin with. Or you could buy an adult of your preferred species with a known temperament and go from there. It’s a gamble in a sense but you learn to appreciate the snake for what it is anyway. And who says you’ll stop at one snake, I got one and 2 years later I’ve managed to end up with 6. I wish you luck on finding the right snake for you!

Back