G'day All

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.edenborough

Reaction score
I felt compelled to find a forum where I could share a most unusual experience. At home yesterday on our bush acreage on the mid north coast of NSW it was overcast and not very warm. About 2.15pm my wife called me to say there was a snake by the pool. We frequently see a Green Tree Snake hunting small green frogs in the garden in front of the house, and our visiting Diamond Python came sliding in last week, so I was expecting one or the other of those. To my surprise there were FOUR Green Tree Snakes, all mature and in excess of a metre long. One had just come out of the skimmer box, another two were by the steps, another on the other side of the pool.
On seeing me the first moved away into the garden, the second just watched me, the third launched back into the pool and did two circuit deep under water, swimming so gracefully. It then surfaced near the fourth and seemed to make contact, then swam hard with head coming up onto the tiles, where it pressed down with it's head to gain purchase and was able then to move easily out of the water. I left them to it, 3 & 4 moved away into the garden, 2 remained on the surround. I can only guess I was seeing courtship. It's always exciting to see a snake around the the house, but this was exceptional ! Cheers, Geoff

I can only guess I was seeing courtship. It's always exciting to see a snake around the the house, but this was exceptional !
Welcome to the forum, Geoff. That sounds fantastic! Have you ever thought of keeping snakes?

I kept lizards and tortoises when I was a kid. I knew a bloke called David McPhee who had an extensive collection. I don't need to keep reptiles now as they visit us regularly. As mentioned previously we have Diamond Pythons, Green Tree Snakes,less frequently, Bandy bandy, Yellow Faced Whip snakes, Small Eyed Snake, Stephens Banded Snake, Dwarf Crowned Snake, Red Bellied Black and Brown Snakes very rarely. Lizards we have aplenty, Blue Tongue, Pink Tongue, Water Dragon, Jackie, Land Mullet and Leaf Tailed Gecko. So as you see, no licenses, boxes, feeding Etc.

I felt compelled to find a forum where I could share a most unusual experience. At home yesterday on our bush acreage on the mid north coast of NSW it was overcast and not very warm. About 2.15pm my wife called me to say there was a snake by the pool. We frequently see a Green Tree Snake hunting small green frogs in the garden in front of the house, and our visiting Diamond Python came sliding in last week, so I was expecting one or the other of those. To my surprise there were FOUR Green Tree Snakes, all mature and in excess of a metre long. One had just come out of the skimmer box, another two were by the steps, another on the other side of the pool.
On seeing me the first moved away into the garden, the second just watched me, the third launched back into the pool and did two circuit deep under water, swimming so gracefully. It then surfaced near the fourth and seemed to make contact, then swam hard with head coming up onto the tiles, where it pressed down with it's head to gain purchase and was able then to move easily out of the water. I left them to it, 3 & 4 moved away into the garden, 2 remained on the surround. I can only guess I was seeing courtship. It's always exciting to see a snake around the the house, but this was exceptional ! Cheers, Geoff

Sounds like a lovely place to live, all that wildlife. And the GTS encounter, that would have been great to see, have they been back at all?

Latest posts

Back