Gecko day/light cycles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhThatEll

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been seriously considering getting a gecko the past couple of months. My house is quite small so he/she would have to be in my room. I've got the space and everything, so that much is fine, but I'm worried about messing up it's day and night cycles. I'm a uni student and do my work and study in my bedroom and I need light to, you know, see. This includes cramming at 2 a.m. The solution I've come up with in my head is getting a friend to sew some black material together that can just slide over the vivarium to darken it, and use my desk lamp instead of the overhead light to do my work.

Would this create enough darkness for a gecko to be like "Oh it's nighttime! Time to do my thing!"? Or would it be too light still and mess with him/her?

Any of your own solutions would be great too.

my geckos are in my room and I have my tv going I.honestly don't think it would mess with them eventually u turn the light off so they would get there dark times

Hi,

For our thick-tailed gecko who lives in the kitchen we try to turn off the main light when it gets dark, but she doesn't seem to mind the low lighting from the oven hood so your desk light will probably be fine. When we do need to keep the lights on longer, we just put a towel over her enclosure because she doesn't come out if it's too bright. So I think a dark cloth will be fine. I don't think it matters too much to them as long as they get some dark, as randomgeckos says, but I do understand wanting to keep a natural-ish cycle.

they will be fine mate. I had all my hatchy snakes and geckos in my room and it never bothered their sleep patterns. The ambient light in the room coming through the window during the day is enough to give them a sense of day and night (even if you are cramming till 2am)

I agree with the others. Reptiles seem to be able to distinguish natural daylight, even indirect natural light, from artificial light. Geckoes are not usually active on bright moonlit nights in nature, so they don?t have to be active every night. Given that they don?t have to search too hard to find food in captivity, there is even less need for them to be active. Overhead room lights are usually bright enough to discourage activity but they will frequently come out and remain active under more subdued lighting such as a lamp (or TV, as mentioned). The geckos will let you know if the light is too bright by simply going into hiding. Just make sure the desk lamp is angled away from the cage and you shouldn?t even need to cover it with black material or shade it from the light. I had a small colony of Lesueur?s Geckos in an aquarium in my room when I was at uni and used take study breaks and relax by watching them. That is also usually when I would feed them or flick droplets of water in for them to drink ? we didn?t have plastic spray bottles back then lol (nearly 40 years ago).

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back