Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpAddict

Reaction score
To be honest, I really didn't see the fun in keeping geckos.... But I think I may have changed my mind. Was just checking out someones very good looking Nephrurus amyae Akatora, I didnt realize they got to a good handling size.

Persuade me people! Tell me what's good about geckos. And show me some pictures of different species and enclosures.

Please....

Cheers,
Pratty

Oh you must get a gecko! They are awesome! My gecko Ozzy is a Thick Tailed Gecko she is so easy to care for :)
Cage- Minimum 2ft
Heating- Only if your in really cold area (Nelsons Bay should be right) but yeah if its to cold just a heat mat
Feeding- 4 or so crickets every second day
Handling- If you get em' from when they're little they grow up being handeled and become very use to it my girl has never snapped or hissed or anything she just sits on my hand hehe :)
Size- I'd say Ozzy is about 12cm nose-tail
And yeah they're so easy to care for and very photogenic.... (many people comment that Ozzy looks like aboriginal art)

A close up of Ozzy's beautiful pattern straight after shed...
DSC00974.jpg

Her licking her eyes :)
DSC00920.jpg

And again...
DSC01002.jpg

And her gorgeous smile :D
DSC00902.jpg

Seriously, get one :D

I used to catch them in WA when I was little. Always very hissy and upset, but still liked them. Yeh I will have to convince the mrs.... But should be good. Do you have any other types? And pictures of enclosures? They are very good
Looking animals

What's the biggest species? I want something that's not awkward to hold... Lol

Last edited:
Agree with Rams , if you are after a handling reptile get a bearded dragon ...

Oh I see. They don't enjoy coming out on your hand in the sun etc....? Do they stress a bit? Try get away?

I got a dragon already. He is awesome, just thought I'd try some more species too

Oh I see. They don't enjoy coming out on your hand in the sun etc....? Do they stress a bit? Try get away?

I got a dragon already. He is awesome, just thought I'd try some more species too

Geckos are nocturnal ...

Yeah I realized that.... Do they ever come out during the day? Soak up some sun?

Do they ever come out during the day? Soak up some sun?

We have Levis, and they are very rarely above ground during the day, and they don't get taken out in the sun :)

They are still well worth having. Fun to watch at feed time - at night :)

Cool. I'll still keep an eye out for one. I wish they liked handling and came out more, but just lucky they look so cool! Any one else have pictures to post...?

You can hold levis every so often, just be very careful and dont do it too often. You cant let them sit on your lap or something like a beardie.

Nice little collage Smithers, good lookin critters

The first species are out in the open all day....and feed on dusk and I have them here in the lounge room and don't seem phased with me walking past and the tv on so maybe these are more to your liking as you can see them all day.

You absolutely MUST!! they are just the most amazing pets! I could watch Akatora for hours not to mention the little guy is starting to present the most amazing personality =] do it!! come ooooooon

To be honest, I really didn't see the fun in keeping geckos.... But I think I may have changed my mind. Was just checking out someones very good looking Nephrurus amyae Akatora, I didnt realize they got to a good handling size.

Persuade me people! Tell me what's good about geckos. And show me some pictures of different species and enclosures.

Please....

Cheers,
Pratty

Umm, tell you what's "good" about keeping geckos...? Do you have all night?! :lol:

Haha it's all your fault nikola! I love your little guy. He changed me lol

I'm going to bed very soon, but feel free to list some points lizard lady lol. I really don't know much about them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back