Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffcoat

Reaction score
Since Im new here, please don't take this the wrong way.

I was just wondering what yalls general feelings toward hybrids. Im talking like Walls, Comas and Carpondros. I personally am not totally against it and theoretically I could produce some of these, I don't think that I could bring myself to do it.

I know here in the states hybrids like corns/kings happen in nature, they are relatively the "same". I know Womas have no heat pits and Royals do. I think that would pose quite a problem. Same with carpets/womas.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers so please, I mean nothing by it. Several other forums I visit some are for, but most are against. I will admit though, they are pretty to look at.

Im a fence sitter on this topic, look at almost any mammal humans keep/farm and they are mostly hybrids. We have made these animals to be better suited to us as humans. Same goes for many plants. The reason I'm a fence sitter when it comes to reptiles is due to their climatic requirements. I don't think it's as simple as aiming somewhere inbetween to animals use to create the hybrid and we need to keep the animals welfare in mind. Creating hybrids with two animals that have identical requirements I don't have an issue with.For some reason I can't put spacing in this post on my phone so excuse the formatting.

i agree some reptiles should be crossed if the owner wants too as this does happen naturally in the wild. but some should not as they are too different. i think australia is more worried about these hybrids escaping or being let loose and taking over and killing or interbreeding with other snakes. australia just wants to keep their reptile gene pool clean and the way it was. even though there are hybrid snakes out there.

though at times i think why do they bother wen nearly every animal we can keep as pets are hybrids. and they get loose and breed with native animals e.g dingo and a imported canine species. birds, australian native quails with imported asian quails. native geckos with asian house gecko. the list goes on.

they get on our backs about hybrids and we can't import exotice reptiles but yet they bought in ferral pigs, camels, rabbits, pigeons and cane toads which are the largest native fauna and flora killers.

Personally I'm not a fan, but I'm biased. I am smitten with our native fauna, and while I look at some frankensnakes and they have pretty colours/markings, for me, a pure wild-type would win out every time. But I don't have any "real" reason, just personal preference:)

im sure its illegal south australian authorities 3 or 4 weeks ago put down 20 pythons that were a cross breed, i cant remember all of what they were but there was some murray jags, and darwin jags,
i dont agree with cross breeding im not going to start a war on it so ill leave it at that.

I thought it was legal to cross-breed Snakes of the same species (for example Morelia spilota)? Which I don't see the problem with. Since it would occur in the wild anyway.

I thought it was legal to cross-breed Snakes of the same species (for example Morelia spilota)? Which I don't see the problem with. Since it would occur in the wild anyway.
Unreal......Let the dance of the Zombies commence

In what parallel Universe do Morelia sub species interbreed...

diamonds x coastals happen in the wild dont they?
i think i remember reading some thing like that in the latest S&T

Personally I don't really mind between carpets, but definitely not a fan between different species... My opinion.

I don't mind hybrids if they are made for a purpose. I can't stand when people cross just for the sake of it, not to produce a better animal in some regard. It shouldn't be done for no reason imo.

I don't mind hybrids if they are made for a purpose. I can't stand when people cross just for the sake of it, not to produce a better animal in some regard. It shouldn't be done for no reason imo.
Hybridisation can never improve on Mother nature..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back