General python question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy-the-snake

Reaction score
Hi just over a year ago (14 months) I got a Murray Darling Carpet Python hatchling, he is currently a few inches over 5 foot long. I'm unsure what his weight is at the moment as I don't have any scales to weigh him, but he is relatively heavy bodied. He has been feeding well since I got him, starting off with pinkies etc, and working his way up to the large adult rats he eats now. He feeds on one large adult rat, or adult quail every 10-14 days.

My questions to whomever would be able to answer them are...
-Is my Murray Darling which is just over 5 feet long at 14 months a normal size? He seems a fair tad larger than the others ive seen and read about for his age.
-Secondly I have noticed some slight crease/wrinkles in some of my snakes scales, they look to have been caused by him coiling up in his hide log. But in the unlikely case that these slight creases in some scales are a symtpom of some disease or malnutrition i'd rather find out sooner rather than later. So any ideas as to the cause and solution would be much appreciated.
thank you all

A few pics wouldnt go amiss? and it wont be underfed cause at such a young age your snake has put some good size on.....people will really need some pics to give there opinion

Last edited:
I have two Murray Darlings that are around 16 months old... Brother and Sister.

The male eats a 40g Chick every 5 days.
He's been a very picky feeder along the way.
Seems to of totally gone of Rats and Mice.
Would be around 3 foot and 160g.

The girl eats 2x Small Adult (120 - 185g) Rats every 10 days.
I have tried her on Large (250-320g) and Regular (185 - 250g) Rats and had some success.
But since it's cooled down I've had to down the food size.
She is around 5 foot and 1.2 - 1.3kg.

Massive difference.

All depends how much you feed them and how often they actually eat.

Wouldn't yours be older than 14 months old since that's when you got it and breeders/pet shops
don't usually sell Snakes until they are steady feeders/had a few sheds/2-3 months old...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back