Gippsland Water Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythoninfinite

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in obtaining pure Gippsland Water Dragons, but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in collections. Anyone reliable out there breeding them or have them available?

Jamie

No leads on breeding Jamie but I wouldn't mind seeing some bites on this thread too.

Try SA Quality Reptiles on Facebook, I'm pretty sure he has pure gippys

Hi Sheldon, really looking for a male and a couple of females. Bad time atm because anyone keeping them outside won't be seeing them for a few months, but I'm not in any hurry. Especially interested in a highly coloured male if one become available. Sydney Aquarium has some crackers, they came from a breeding program linked to a friend's PhD study on incubation temperature-linked sex determination in dragons. I'll be picking his brains very soon.

Cheers, Jamie

Hi Sheldon, really looking for a male and a couple of females. Bad time atm because anyone keeping them outside won't be seeing them for a few months, but I'm not in any hurry. Especially interested in a highly coloured male if one become available. Sydney Aquarium has some crackers, they came from a breeding program linked to a friend's PhD study on incubation temperature-linked sex determination in dragons. I'll be picking his brains very soon.

Cheers, Jamie
Sydney aquariums are crackers some of the best ive seen. I don't have any mature males I'm parting with. I have 3 males all different locale and a few different females. I have a little project on the go trying to get some nicer blues and some good size dragons out of it all. So i only have hatchies atm but not sure atm what I'll keep. I will eventually let some go over the next 6mths. All pure and should mature into nice dragons. No mongrels [emoji4] most of what i see for sale are eastern crosses sold as gippys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sydney aquariums are crackers some of the best ive seen. I don't have any mature males I'm parting with. I have 3 males all different locale and a few different females. I have a little project on the go trying to get some nicer blues and some good size dragons out of it all. So i only have hatchies atm but not sure atm what I'll keep. I will eventually let some go over the next 6mths. All pure and should mature into nice dragons. No mongrels [emoji4] most of what i see for sale are eastern crosses sold as gippys.

How do you tell the difference in hatchies, apart from gippies being less green?

All my gippys have less defined patterning on there bodies. And no patterning from the back of the head into the eye area which all my hatchie easterns have and is very dominant even in hatchies.

I've spent a lot of time on the far south coast of NSW and have a real soft spot for them. In the middle of building a new house and I could see a few of them occupying some real estate out the back.
Some of the nicest ones ive seen are around Bega, there's some nice aqua and blues.

OK, I've finally got a young, unsexed Gippy, about 30cm long. Too small to put outside yet, and as it has been kept active this winter, can't go outside anyway. What's the best cheap-to-run source of UV for this lizard these days - I should know but as a snake keeper I haven't been keeping up with all the changes in lighting technology in the past few years? I'd prefer not to have 150W globes running for hours every day. I'll post a photo or two this weekend.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

How have you been keeping? I've got a couple of juvenile Easterns here at the moment that can't go outside yet either. They're in a 36"L x 15"W x 15"H glass tank with insulated back. I'm using a 60 what spot light as a heat source over some dark pavers and a UVB like the one in the attached picture and they're doing just fine. My missus said she bought it at Brontosaurus Pets and paid around $20 for the ceramic fitting and $12 - $15 for the globe. She said Petbarn have them but they are dearer.
DSCN1095.JPG

The Ceramic fitting is a URS Ceramic ES fitted with a lead.

Globe is a Compact Max - 15W 10.0 UVA & UVB.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That looks pretty good George. I also have the advantage of placing the 4ft tank against a north-facing window, so it gets quite warm during sunny days. No UV through glass of course, but reduces heating costs. Been a bit rough the last couple of weeks George - a week of bloody awful bronchitis after some days in Katoomba, and I pranged the (wife's) car on the way up into the mountains on the way to Katoomba the week before last, so hasn't been my best time for a while! But I did get my little Gippy!

Probably the most obvious difference between the two subspecies is that the Gips lack the eye-stripe characteristic of the Easterns. This youngster has an overall bluish cast, which changes with temperature, and some hints of very pale orange on the throat. Beautiful condition, a credit to the previous owner, all fingers, toes and tail, and very plump! The search goes on for more however...

Cheers, Jamie

Plenty of really nice Gippslands out the back of Kiama Jamie. Out around Kangaroo Valley and Fitzroy Falls. Hope you're feeling better buddy.

All the best. George.

Some were just posted on Gumtree in victoria in the last hour. They're hatchies.

Thanks for the responses GB & vamp - been away getting the hire car back to Katoomba (how people cope with that cold I don't Know!). Feeling a bit more human now thank goodness, & the Golf has been declared a write-off so it's a clean start. Will certainly look at spending a bit of time on the south coast in the coming warmer months, thanks George.

Jamie

OK, another question from a Water Dragon newbie... Got my 25 watt UV thingy from Amazing Amazon and it's installed in the tank. How close to the dragon should it be when the lizard basks under it? Currently he can almost touch it with his head when lying on the decorative piece of forest timber beneath the lamp. Will being so close to the UV light source damage eyes? It does get quite warm, which is why he likes being right underneath it. What's the general opinion about this?

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back