Glass Surfing Bluetongue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We have a couple of blue tongues: our original bluey (Hiccup) seems to want to get out all the time! She'll climb the glass until she's perched on the tip of her tail, and often come crashing down. I'm worried she's going to hurt herself. The other is her daughter (Caspar), who's about 8 months old. She's had her full size vivarium for a few weeks now, and seems intent on trying to push her way out of the front of the tank .
I've tried to give them a nice, interesting environment (they have hides, vegetation, pretty deep substrate, tubes, things to climb, clean water & get fed regularly. Temps seen ok - although Hiccup seems to prefer a cooler environment). Their enclosures are glass with fake rock on 2 sides, so it's possible that the younger one doesn't really understand glass yet.
They both seem to calm straight down when they're picked up... I've even made a skink sling (old fleece jumper that they sit in the arms of & then I put an apron over the outside so I can actually get stuff done instead of having to sit with them on my lap for hours). They will both stay in there for hours if I let them! We've also made a skink proof enclosure in the front garden, but it's so cold at the moment, I'm not keen on putting them out for long).
Bit more info: Hiccup is super-inquisitive. We got her as a 2/3 year old and I think her previous owners gave her loads of roaming/handling time before losing interest. We used to let her roam around our house, but we would lose her e.g. behind the fridge for days. Then she actually managed to get out. She was gone for 10 months (!) before reappearing at the back door (which was pretty amazing!). Caspar is the last of 6 babies she had 3 months later .
Does anyone have any tips on reducing the glass surfing, or d'you think with Hiccup it's just habit/desire for attention now? I thought about covering some of the glass with paper or card to see if that helps, but other than that, I'm out of ideas .

Hi LucyE
I realy don't think your bluetongue is in any real danger of hurting herself , from what you describe. But, if you are able to post a photo of your setup , it may help .

Trying to post a photo... It's saying the file size is too large, even though it's way under the max specified.

I havnt read that i just used a photo compresser from the play store.. works like a charm

I'll give this a go https://photos.app.goo.gl/26ktXGKKkBSsvQ2X8

The top tank now has one of the triangular net thingys over the rock hide (given that they seem to like climbing so much!). It's proving quite popular... when Caspar isn't trying to burrow out through the glass...

Latest posts

Back