Glowing heat lamp?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Jane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have an exoterra 150W heat lamp. It’s a black one that emits no light. It’s perfect for my snakes temp as he sits at 30-33 degrees under it. But I noticed tonight that it glows red when heated up. I don’t know what to do about this? Should I be worried? It makes me concerned.

I will attach a picture.
5etwTXa.jpg

Hi Sarah Jane
Personaly i use heat cord or a heat mat run through a dimmer switch or thermostat underneath my enclosures for heating , It is much more efficient at heating the enclosure, costs a lot less to run than a bulb (150watts 24/7 would not be cheap) , will outlast any bulb by a long shot, and will emitt no light. If anyone knows of a better , more efficient way to heat an indoor enclosure , please speak up ?

Hi Sarah Jane
Personaly i use heat cord or a heat mat run through a dimmer switch or thermostat underneath my enclosures for heating , It is much more efficient at heating the enclosure, costs a lot less to run than a bulb (150watts 24/7 would not be cheap) , will outlast any bulb by a long shot, and will emitt no light. If anyone knows of a better , more efficient way to heat an indoor enclosure , please speak up ?
Thank you but I need to know if a lamp that’s glowing orange from heat that isn’t supposed to emit light is okay and safe.

Can you post a clear picture of the lamp holder and the heating globe you are using

Latest posts

Back