goanna friends

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m.punja

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well the time has finally come and I have finished my outdoor pit for some goannas. I have a pair of sandy's organised and half paid for but while I was looking at my pit yesterday I started getting greedy.
What could be put in there with the sandy's? Would turts go ok with goannas? I know someone who has sandy's and lacies in together, however his outdoor enclosure is the size of my block so nearly anything could live in harmony there. Has anyone tried to put sandy's and lacies together?

My pit is 7 meters by 3 meters and is tall enough that nothing is getting out over the top and the footing ensures nothing it digging out either.

Cheers.

Punja

wow Mark, you have been busy!

Would love to see pics - especially when you get some occupants.

two 3/3.5 m pits would still be big enough for a pair of lacys and a pair of sandys.

Im fairly sure most goanna species could be safely kept together if they are a similar size and fairly tolerant individuals. Obviously avoid keeping males together or anything that is food sized. I think it would be important to make sure they dont get hungry too.

I have been keeping a yellow spotted monitor with one of my spencers(same size) and havnt had any problems.

I wouldnt reccomend keeping them with turtles, especially with larger goannas. I used to untill i found a scar on the head of one of my turtles that resembled what a goannas tooth could do.

well the pair of sandy's I'm getting are around 1.6 meters, so i'd only get a lacie of similar size. I was considering a male/female pair of lacies but now I think about it having two male goannas in the same pit might be a bit much. Maybe just a single female lacie in with the pair of sandys?

just drop a divider down the middle it is big enough for 2 pairs............... got any photos of your pit ?

lacie monitors are alot bigger than sandys,your missing the point,i dont think u would have issues with males of different species being together as a rule,but i guess theres always the chance,if u want to keep lacies and sandys just divide your cage,there is a chance if u housed them together that they would be ok,but theres alot more risk that they wont be,also look at the different needs of both species,ones a climber,likes timbered areas,the other likes wide open spaces and digging tunnels,if your sandys are a true pair,the male may be 1 . 6 metres long,but the female will be alot smaller in length and bulk,even a male sandy is small compared to an average sized male lacie,u sound determined to put them together,up to u i guess,but yeah,i definatly wouldnt do it,i keep both types of monitors,and done so for a few years,just saying i wouldnt do it,the risks far out weigh the benefits,but if i was in your shoes,dividing the pit in half would be fine for a pair of each

cheers and thanks for the info, I havn't really decided on a lacie or pair and don't really want to devide the enclosure, I might just build another if I choose to get lacies. Thanks again for all the help.

Keep the lacies and sand monitors separate mate. I do know of an incident in which a male sand goanna ate the female that he shared a small enclsoure with and the animal wasn't fed often either. I couldn't believe it but he was adamant that it happened.

To be honest, i think its just another excuse to get another pit built for more species of goanna - GO FOR IT!!!!

good stuff m. punja,a great excuse for another pit,lol,any pics of the pit u just built?sounds like a sizable one,would love to see the sandys when u get them as well,your gunna love them

yer ive been thinking about it and Ive decided to put off a dragon pit and build a lacie pit instead

hahahahaha,lacies are pretty cool,i need to start seting my lacie and sandy pits up,still working on ideas for the lacies,i have the sandys pits all sussed out,ahhhh monitors and there cages,does it ever end,im in the process of getting an 8x2x2 aquarium for the mertons trio i have,that will be there water area,and ill make a marine ply 8x3x3 foot top section that will sit on topas there land and climbing areas,i was thinking of just using a pond but i want to see there underwater antics,lol,ill save the pond idea for down the track when i hopefully add some mangrove monitors to the collection

......I will have a spare 8x2x2 aquarium sitting around soon which i was wondering what to do with....

mertons you say???

LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE GONE AND DONE NOW RICHARD, HAPPY?

can sandys be kept inside? if so how big would a enclousure have to be... i dream of sandys! and how on earth do u get a hot spot to 70 degrees in an enclousure that big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back