Goanna ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicbreeze

Reaction score
This one was in the Upper Gascoyne River area, WA. I think it's Varanus gouldii. Last photo is the habitat - fairly flat scrubby country, along branches of the river which are more like small shallow seepages. Thanks.

it definitely is either a yellow spotted monitor, a sand/gould's monitor, or a perentie. i personally can't confirm which, though i think it's a yellow spotted's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments Imported_tuatara. I was tossing about with Goulds or Perentie. Never really considered panoptes. The spots on the underside seem to be banding up the sides, whereas the panoptes here never seemed to have that. Of course different area different story.

Looks like a gouldii/panoptes from the photos - doesn't look like a perentie from the photos. Couldn't tell panoptes and gouldii from the photos.

It is definitely a Yellow Spotted Monitor Varanus panoptes rubidus.

The continuation of the transverse rows of dark spots from the back onto the belly distinguished it from V. gouldii. It is not a Perentie as it has a black eye streak and lacks the black reticulum on the sides of the throat and neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back