Green tree frogs and eucy mulch from bunnings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoSwissSnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have two adorable green tree frogs and I wanted to change their tank up a bit and was wondering if it would be safe to put eucy mulch from bunnings in their tank as substrate?
And what live plants can I use that grow really well in low light that would be safe for them? I’ve searched everywhere for answers but I’ve never really got a good answer.
Cheers, Kate.

Hey guys I have two adorable green tree frogs and I wanted to change their tank up a bit and was wondering if it would be safe to put eucy mulch from bunnings in their tank as substrate?
And what live plants can I use that grow really well in low light that would be safe for them? I’ve searched everywhere for answers but I’ve never really got a good answer.
Cheers, Kate.
Ferns, pothos, sygonium, monstera, bromeliads and philodendron are all great plants and have used them in bioactive enclosures before.

What about eucy mulch?
eucalyptus mulch isnt suitable for reptiles

you'd be better off with coir peat and a bit of sphagnum moss wet mix, which imo looks great -- just make sure to get the ones with out fertilisers (i'll try get a link in if i can before you reply)

found this paragraph on a bluetongue forums

> Eucalyptus contains phenols, which in the leaves are naturally occuring hydrocarbons. Phenols can be harmful to humans and animals, both by ingestion and by contact, causing skin irritation, liver and kidney damage, paralysis, tremors, heart damage or arrythmia, as well as death. Phenols are usually only present in soil for up to 5 days or so, but with mulch, the leaves are not always broken down, but continue to do so after mulch is packaged and then laid down, allowing for a continuous release of harmful phenols in to the mulch.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-9l-coir-peat-brick_p3023170https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-150g-sphagnum-moss-block_p3010215

Last edited:
Ohh ok. I’ve been using the stuff on my bearded dragon for ages now because a YouTuber I watched used it for years with no problems. Should I discontinue using it?

[automerge]1629190385[/automerge]
Ohh ok. I’ve been using the stuff on my bearded dragon for ages now because a YouTuber I watched used it for years with no problems. Should I discontinue using it?
sorry i just edited my post about 50x

not sure if you got the most updated version! try refresh
[automerge]1629190533[/automerge]
Up to you if you stop using it,

Frogs skins are lots lots lots more sensitive though, they absorb through their skin

Yeah so I bought a big bag of eucy mulch from Bunnings to use for my bearded dragon, which stunk terribly for the first day but then cleared up. I’ve had no issues with it so far, but should I discontinue? It doesn’t have fertiliser or anything in it
[automerge]1629190684[/automerge]
[automerge]1629190385[/automerge]

sorry i just edited my post about 50x

not sure if you got the most updated version! try refresh
[automerge]1629190533[/automerge]
Up to you if you stop using it,

Frogs skins are lots lots lots more sensitive though, they absorb through their skin
Sorry I only read the post after I had finished posting mine silly me. So what substrates from Bunnings that aren’t messy would you suggest for the frogs?
Btw you guys are so helpful it’s awesome

Yeah so I bought a big bag of eucy mulch from Bunnings to use for my bearded dragon, which stunk terribly for the first day but then cleared up. I’ve had no issues with it so far, but should I discontinue? It doesn’t have fertiliser or anything in it
[automerge]1629190684[/automerge]

Sorry I only read the post after I had finished posting mine silly me. So what substrates from Bunnings that aren’t messy would you suggest for the frogs?
Btw you guys are so helpful it’s awesome
coir peat mixed with sphagnum moss

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-9l-coir-peat-brick_p3023170https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-150g-sphagnum-moss-block_p3010215
bunnings might not sell the moss anymore, but u can buy it elsewhere, just make sure to get the same brand ones as in link!

What ratio do you use?
doesnt matter, if you want a more damp ratio, go for more sphagnum moss, which would be better since theyre frogs

make sure not to wet the mulch and moss too much while breaking it apart otherwise itll take weeks to dry up enough

Last edited:
I use coco peat and it’s been fine so far, they get a bit dirty underneath but they love it! I also use dried oak leaves for leave litter and ferns for live plants. Whatever plants you use should grow ok under your UVB

Ferns, pothos, sygonium, monstera, bromeliads and philodendron are all great plants and have used them in bioactive enclosures before.
I’ve got ferns, monsteras and bromeliads in my tank currently so I’m backing this one up. They’re all doing great.

eucalyptus mulch isnt suitable for reptiles

you'd be better off with coir peat and a bit of sphagnum moss wet mix, which imo looks great -- just make sure to get the ones with out fertilisers (i'll try get a link in if i can before you reply)

found this paragraph on a bluetongue forums

> Eucalyptus contains phenols, which in the leaves are naturally occuring hydrocarbons. Phenols can be harmful to humans and animals, both by ingestion and by contact, causing skin irritation, liver and kidney damage, paralysis, tremors, heart damage or arrythmia, as well as death. Phenols are usually only present in soil for up to 5 days or so, but with mulch, the leaves are not always broken down, but continue to do so after mulch is packaged and then laid down, allowing for a continuous release of harmful phenols in to the mulch.

So australian reptiles and amphibians that spent thousands of years evolving to live in, on and around eucalyptus forests and leaf litter but now anything eucalyptus is suddenly not suitable?
That information is only related to non indigenous species.

Last edited:
So australian reptiles and amphibians that spent thousands of years evolving to live in, on and around eucalyptus forests and leaf litter but now anything eucalyptus is suddenly not suitable?
Did u read the big paragraph I quoted? Or just the top line

Latest posts

Back