Green Tree Python Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trotin

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm preparing for my first Green Tree Python and have just finished The More Complete Chondro. It seems that Greg recommends heat panels over everything else in terms of creating a decent temperature gradient. After a bit of googling it seems these are absolutely nowhere to be found in Australia. I'd like to hear from people who've kept them down here, what have you used? I don't really want to do the heat cord in a tile on the floor thing as I know it "gets the job done" but heat from below seems very unnatural for a GTP. Thoughts? I'm in SE QLD so that should give a rough idea of my ambient temps through the year.

Why not make your own heat panel? It's easy enough to do - I have made all 6 that I have.
Buy yourself some large plastic coreflute. Cut a piece the size and shape you want, then run a 50w heat cord back and forth along the channels - best to leave at least one or two channels empty between two filled channels.
Screw this to the inside roof of the enclosure.
Cheap, very reliable and easily adjusted. The coreflute doesn't degrade - mine have been in continuous use for years, running on timers, and still perform as reliably and effectively as they did on day one.
I use mine in carpet python enclosures, but I think they'd be just as useful for GTPs.

Why not make your own heat panel? It's easy enough to do - I have made all 6 that I have.
Buy yourself some large plastic coreflute. Cut a piece the size and shape you want, then run a 50w heat cord back and forth along the channels - best to leave at least one or two channels empty between two filled channels.
Screw this to the inside roof of the enclosure.
Cheap, very reliable and easily adjusted. The coreflute doesn't degrade - mine have been in continuous use for years, running on timers, and still perform as reliably and effectively as they did on day one.
I use mine in carpet python enclosures, but I think they'd be just as useful for GTPs.
Now this is what I’m talking about, I like the idea and if done well would look relatively good.
no issues with heat+plastic though? What brand of heat cable have you used?

As I said, no problem over many years (approx 12). Just make sure you space each run to ensure you don't overheat one area. Not sure of the brand. Will rummage through and see if I can find out, but I doubt it would make any difference. I know the first ones I bought were no-name cords from Herp Shop.

I’m in SEQ. I bought a heat panel ages ago but I have a terrific room, his viv gets direct sunlight plus good equipment for ambient so I haven’t had the need to install it even for winter…my room never gets below 20c. They’re recommended because the burning risk is way lower and they deliver a good gradient. I will get around to installing it. I have a Dyson Hot and Cold fan I use for heating in winter…the fan itself is no better but the heater is amazing…I can even position and adjust it to deliver a gradient in his viv despite it being outside the viv.

I intend to remove the top panel of the viv and design a new top panel which includes the RHP and some suspended climbing stuff. Apparently the word is you want the top perch around 15-20cm from the panel. I have a bit more study to do here also.

Back