Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyss

Reaction score
So ATM I'm currently converting an old Balinese cabinet into an enclosure for a GTP. The enclosure dimensions are 800 high X 1000 wide X 600 deep. Any suggestions on where to get a heat panel big enough for the enclosure and the best way to supply UV in the cabinet? All while trying to do it as cost effective as possible. Thanks! Links on where to source would be greatly appreciated to

Pick up a ceramic heat light fitting from Bunnings or a pet store - one that can screw directly into wood. I always use ceramics with my GTPs so I'd probably go 150-200w depending on where you live (I live in Canberra so it can get pretty cold) and always ALWAYS attach to a thermostat. GTPs don't require UVB but I like keeping a 5% in there as I think it helps brighten colouration. I'd probably be inclined to get a 2% if my pet store stocked it. But honestly, humidity is your biggest issue. Make sure you invest into a good humidifying system or you can have issues like stuck sheds etc. Be sure you do your research before you buy your GTP, they are not a breed for beginners. Don't go 'cost effective'. You cannot be stingy with GTPs. But they are worth the investment.

Hey @Lanea
I keep the bottom of my enclosure covered in Spaghnam Moss (can be purchased from Bunnings in a dry cube, soak in a bucket of water before using) as it does not go moldy and holds moisture wonderfully. I usually tip about one liter of water over it once a month to keep it damp. I also have a reptile humidifier I have set to a hydrostat (I have a thermo/hydrostat with an extra spot for a timer which I plug my heat, humidifier, and UVB light into) and I generally like to keep the tank around 70% humidity. If too damp the animal can blister and if not humid enough it can dry out their skin and cause them to dehydrate. I also have a water bowl at the bottom which is always full if she ever wants to come down and have a drink.
Hope this helps :)

So ATM I'm currently converting an old Balinese cabinet into an enclosure for a GTP. The enclosure dimensions are 800 high X 1000 wide X 600 deep. Any suggestions on where to get a heat panel big enough for the enclosure and the best way to supply UV in the cabinet? All while trying to do it as cost effective as possible. Thanks! Links on where to source would be greatly appreciated to
Proherp.com.au

I can highly recommend Proherp.com.au
I purchased a Habistat thermostat from them about one week ago and it was sent the following day and they did a follow up email to me after the sale as well.
I will be dealing with them from here on in.

I only got about 28 on the thermostat. 25 on the thermometer and his sitting on the wire right next to his lamp. When he moves I will bump temps might even need a bigger bulb.

Pick up a ceramic heat light fitting from Bunnings or a pet store - one that can screw directly into wood. I always use ceramics with my GTPs so I'd probably go 150-200w depending on where you live (I live in Canberra so it can get pretty cold) and always ALWAYS attach to a thermostat. GTPs don't require UVB but I like keeping a 5% in there as I think it helps brighten colouration. I'd probably be inclined to get a 2% if my pet store stocked it. But honestly, humidity is your biggest issue. Make sure you invest into a good humidifying system or you can have issues like stuck sheds etc. Be sure you do your research before you buy your GTP, they are not a breed for beginners. Don't go 'cost effective'. You cannot be stingy with GTPs. But they are worth the investment.

Thanks for the help! I intend to make the enclosure bioactive now with a creek/waterfall. I'm thinking once I get the enclosure lined with acrylic I'm going to buy some lights and work out what works best for humidity and temperature wise then go from there!

Please don't try to do this on the cheap,tropicals are not easy to keep as I learnt the hard way,( I will stick to desert creatures from now on) if you can't afford to do it properly don't do it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back