green tree snakes vs green tree pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie19

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry in advance to all the people that are going to say this question has already been asked as I m sure it would have been but I m new and just suck at digging up old post (I don't know how to do it as it never seems to work for me even post I have read before I can never seem to find them again) anyway the question. What is the difference between green tree snakes and green tree pythons I aways thought it was two names for tje same python but got told today there totally different. . By the way I don't keep snake's or pythons thats why I know close to nothing about them. . . .thanks in advance guys. . .Ed

One is a colubrid(Dendrelaphis punctulata)and one is a python(Morelia viridis). Totally different families.
Just look them up and I'm sure you'll see the difference!

One is a colubrid(Dendrelaphis punctulata)and one is a python(Morelia viridis). Totally different families.
Just look them up and I'm sure you'll see the difference!

Ok thanks since there not a python does that mean they would have fangs and venom??

No they aren't venomous but they can give off a bad odour and bite when feeling threatened, they are a long and slender snake that is more active throughout the day look them up and you will see the difference it would of been faster.

No they aren't venomous but they can give off a bad odour and bite when feeling threatened, they are a long and slender snake that is more active throughout the day look them up and you will see the difference it would of been faster.

Yeah looked them up as soon as I got given there proper names when I put in green tree snakes in my phone on Google it was showing me green tree snakes and green tree pythons so I didn't know which was which but now I do so thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The Common Tree Snake*Dendrelaphis punctulata*(also called Green Tree Snake and Australian Tree Snake) is a slender, large-eyed, mildly venomous (essentially harmless to humans), diurnal snake found in many parts of Australia, especially in the northern and eastern coastal areas, and into Papua New Guinea.This common snake is harmless, readily recognised as it is an agile snake with a very slender head, body and tail. The body colour varies from green to olive-green to black dorsally in some parts of Queensland. They often have a pale to bright yellow throat and belly but other pale colours have been noted, with blue visible between the scales, especially anteriorly when agitated. Eyes are larger than in most snakes. Found in a variety of habitats ranging from rainforest to woodland and also inhabits some urban areas, where it preys on fish, frogs and small animals.

Don't know where you've heard that but they most certainly are venomous.
They are Not considered dangerous to humans however.

I don't believe so that's a brown tree snake that is mildly venomous

In that thread firepac posted seems to explain it the best I've find so far some really good info on whether there venomous or not it seems to be mixed

- - - Updated - - -

And the wiki on this site also says there mildly venomous

Not all snakes beside pythons have fangs and are venomous. Most colubrids aren't to dangerous besides the boomslang.May have rear fangs(but I'm pretty sure these guys are fangless)

Last edited:
Yes apparently these guys are fang less but mildly venomous although shouldn't harm humans I m not to sure as the information I keep finding changes from site to site

Yes apparently these guys are fang less but mildly venomous although shouldn't harm humans I m not to sure as the information I keep finding changes from site to site

I would go with the information by Bryan Fry in the link to venomdoc forum.

I would go with the information by Bryan Fry in the link to venomdoc forum.

Yes well he also says they are venomous unless I m just reading it wrong. .
For anyone not waiting to track it down them selfs his what bryan fry wrote about them being venomous i have just coped and pasted what he wrote hope thats aloud as i didnt know how to put in the link (not the best with comptuers) While the*Dendrelaphis*species, like virtually all other 'colubrids', are venomous, the venom gland for a 2 meter specimen would be around 25 millimeters long. The venom drop for drop is as toxic as comparative elapid venoms, however the quantity delivered is small (about a milligram or less) and the venom delivery not hugely efficient. They can deliver enough to help settle down a frog but not enough to cause symptoms in a human. Pop open the mouth of a roadkill or live one and you'll see some enlarge teeth in the back. Not as big as in Boiga but they are there

I believe that it is socially irresponsible to label Common Tree Snakes as being venomous ...

With regards to venomous / non-venomous, the point I'm trying to make is that there is a stigma associated with the phrase "venomous snake" and rightly or wrongly, people see us keepers as experts. If we start saying that these common-in-backyard snakes are venomous - regardless of the qualification, people are increasingly alarmist and hear what they want to hear - then it could mean that many of these fascinating and beautiful snakes meet with an untimely death.

In this case, being 'right' may come with a cost.

[Full discussion in this thread: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/common-tree-snakes-venomous-tag-143636/]

I don't believe so that's a brown tree snake that is mildly venomous

I'm not sure how the rules work around posting screen shots instead of links but I'll give it a shot.

3ubavu3e.jpg

That's pretty reliable testimony there for the affirmative.

Judging by his experience I would have to believe that they are venomous. Whether their venom has any effect on a human is of no consequence to that fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe that it is socially irresponsible to label Common Tree Snakes as being venomous ...

With regards to venomous / non-venomous, the point I'm trying to make is that there is a stigma associated with the phrase "venomous snake" and rightly or wrongly, people see us keepers as experts. If we start saying that these common-in-backyard snakes are venomous - regardless of the qualification, people are increasingly alarmist and hear what they want to hear - then it could mean that many of these fascinating and beautiful snakes meet with an untimely death.

[Full discussion in this thread: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/common-tree-snakes-venomous-tag-143636/]

I see your point and understand it but a fact is a fact. If there is any venom there (which I would believe there is at this stage) then they are venomous.

This is, unfortunately, an issue of trying to remove the link between the word 'venomous' and the word 'deadly' to the general population. In my opinion, describing things incorrectly is not the way to address that problem though.

I believe you are more right then i would like to admit as to people over reacting. .but I believe people should be given the right information and not just the information others believe they can handle or is "best" but that is just my opinion not looking to change your opinion just putting out both sides

I see your point and understand it but a fact is a fact. If there is any venom there (which I would believe there is at this stage) then they are venomous.

This is, unfortunately, an issue of trying to remove the link between the word 'venomous' and the word 'deadly' to the general population. In my opinion, describing things incorrectly is not the way to address that problem though.

I think that us "experts" need to use the correct terminology so not to confuse matters. I also think that it is our job to explain the difference between venomous and dangerous to humans. Many people realise that a daddy long legs is venomous but not dangerous to humans so with education the same can be achieved with snakes.

Q. Are green tree snakes venomous?

A. They are not as venomous as a green ant.

Then you guys can still say they are venomous without having to worry about making people fear them. Although I just want to say that most people that kill snakes don't identify them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back