Greetings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVic

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Great site you have here. Very informative and a pleasant community to boot.

I'm a 45 year old male from Melbourne's West, Tarneit.

I'm acquiring Bob, an 8.5ft Centralian Python who is 14.5 years old as soon as the DEPI send me my licence. Why does everything that involves Government departments travel through the computerised systems slower than it did through their paper systems :(

I've spent some time getting to know Bob.
Looking forward to Bob coming to his new home.

Thanks for reading :)

Vic

Hi Vic, welcome you will have to post some pics up of Bob once he arrives :)

I promised a photo, so here is Bob :)

His viv is a balmy 27c and (funnily enough) he's been a lot more active as opposed to always being curled up in a ball always above his heat mat.
ybybevyr.jpg

qe2yzaza.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd share an update with you all.
My licence was approved on Monday morning :D

Now Bob was living in a 6ft glass converted fish tank who lived on newspaper and had a heat mat underneath one end of his viv.
Whilst waiting for my licence, Bob was upgraded to shredded coconut as a substrate.

I have installed 2 x 60w CHE's over ⅔rds of his viv.
The heat mat wasn't powerful enough to be of any use through the substrate and I could only get him up around 24c. Eventually I did away with it when my "project" was completed.

Lots of brainstorming later, I came up with a plan to insulate Bob's viv.
Progress shot. Frame built ready to move onto the next stage
image.jpg

I then remembered that I had a heap of spare R20 bats in the ceiling.
We did say insulate, didn't we?

20140708_134234.jpg

His 2ft light was swapped out for a 4ft batten holder and built into the backboard as the 2 footer was bolted to the centre door of the viv which made removing the door rather awkward.

I then wanted something to slow the heat loss from the glass. A walk around Bunnings later and I find some self adhesive vinyl tiles that were the perfect height of the viv.
They have a stone like print which matches the colour of the new substrate :)
They had to be trimmed to allow the light to come through the glass.

I present to you the finished product and a happy Bob who was rather curious with his new backdrop :)

20140709_070251.jpg

Once he settled down he was presented with an XL thawed rat which he smashed in no time :)

The project cost me $150 at Bunnings for the building materials, $110 for the CHE's and their ceramic mounts , $150 for the digital dimming thermostat, $50 for the substrate and $41 for the 4ft tube. Total cost, $501. Now I can pay for Bob and do the transfer paperwork :D

I now have a happy Bob who now is moving around a lot more and seems to like laying sprawled out or hanging on his branch now that he's a lot warmer.
It is now 29c in the first ⅓rd of the viv and 23c at the last ⅓rd of the viv.
I don't yet have a thermometer for the middle, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Is that enough of a gradient you think?

Thanks for reading, apologies for the lengthy post.

Last edited:
Looks good mate. I prefer to keep a daytime hot spot of 32-34 degrees. I don't run any night time heat.

Yeah agree with above, Bredli are from the Alice Springs region and generally like it a bit warmer than other pythons. If you can get the hot spot(not ambient) up to say 34-35c, your boy will love it. And being 10 years old theres no need at all for night heat. My 3 1/2 year old boy gets temps of about 20-22c at night and it does him just fine.

Thanks guys, I need to work out the thermostat settings for night time. Both CHE's are running off the one thermostat with the probe buried between the two CHE's. Or do I have it all wrong? If I have to get a second thermostat I'm happy to do so (just don't tell the wife :D)

He seems to be spending more time at the cooler end which is around 23c. I'm taking notes of temp and behaviour. It was his home for years and it was never this cosy for him. I'm guessing there will be an adjustment period.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys, I need to work out the thermostat settings for night time. Both CHE's are running off the one thermostat with the probe buried between the two CHE's. Or do I have it all wrong? If I have to get a second thermostat I'm happy to do so (just don't tell the wife :D)

He seems to be spending more time at the cooler end which is around 23c. I'm taking notes of temp and behaviour. It was his home for years and it was never this cosy for him. I'm guessing there will be an adjustment period.

Hi Vic!

First of all, welcome to the site & hobby! Your Bredli boy is lovely :D

In regards your thermostat settings, the probe should be placed directly beneath the heat source (the warmest part of the enclosure the snake has access to) and that should be set to 34 or so degrees. Ensure to test temps out using a temp gun on your hot spot or leaving a thermometer under the CHE to get an idea of temps reached.

To create a decent gradient, you only really need the heat source/s at one end of the enclosure, and the rest will vary naturally. So just the one thermostat is needed and the one heat source, and seeing as you have the two heat fittings you can remove the middle CHE. If the first CHE still not generating enough warmth to heat the enclosure adequately you may use another globe for the middle fitting with a lower wattage to remedy that.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Thals 8)

Hi Vic!

First of all, welcome to the site & hobby! Your Bredli boy is lovely :D

In regards your thermostat settings, the probe should be placed directly beneath the heat source (the warmest part of the enclosure the snake has access to) and that should be set to 34 or so degrees. Ensure to test temps out using a temp gun on your hot spot or leaving a thermometer under the CHE to get an idea of temps reached.

To create a decent gradient, you only really need the heat source/s at one end of the enclosure, and the rest will vary naturally. So just the one thermostat is needed and the one heat source, and seeing as you have the two heat fittings you can remove the middle CHE. If the first CHE still not generating enough warmth to heat the enclosure adequately you may use another globe for the middle fitting with a lower wattage to remedy that.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Thals 8)

Thanks for the welcome Thals.

I wired the second CHE with a switch that allows me to turn it off and leave the other one running.

I will do as you suggest and see how he behaves.

Someone summed it up in their signature, it's an obsession disguised as a hobby.
My next two purchases are already planned :D

Even better :) Keep us posted as to how he settles in! Sorry I can't help much with the obsession aspect, you'll find it's quite a common trait here :lol:

I failed to mention that both CHE's are 60w's.
achieving 32c with just a 60w is going to prove challenging. I wider what the store exchange policy is... :?

Thanks krusty.

It's an informative site and I've learnt heaps already.

Now that my licence has arrived Bob is now in his new home :)

I've got the Casa Del Bob all sorted and he's now moved from the cold end (22c) to underneath the far left CHE.
I'm going to see if I can swap one for a 150w that way it will never need to run at full power.

- - - Updated

Last edited:
Welcome to this site! You'll love it!
I have a bredli my self, awesome snakes! Mines 6yo so probably similar sizes! Sounds like you have it all sorted!

Good luck! :)

Hey!! I have bredli's as well, they're an awesome python to keep :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Bob is apparently 14.5 years old. I ended up with a 200watt CHE this afternoon and swapped out one of the 60's. The second 60 is off and the 200 watter bought it up to 32c in no time at all. The dimming thermostat is doing a great job at keeping it at 32c and I even worked out the night time temp :D

I want a couple more now. My daughter wants an albino (she's 11 and obsessed with the colour yellow) and of course the reptile shop has one on display.

I want one in my office next to my desk (I work from home).

Welcome to APS, and the wonderful world of reptiles!
We run 100w CHE's in all of our snake enclosures, and get great temps and a good gradient. Another (cheaper) option to consider is to use timers instead of forking out for thermostats.
And oh yes, there will be more, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back