GTP facts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffler

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering if people could shed some light on GTP's.
There is the Merauke locales, which are what the Aussie native GTP's are, as well as some in southern PNG close to cape yorke. These are known for their deep green colour with the while makings down their backs. Smaller in size than other locales. They are also less "morph" friendly and are only yellow as hatchlings. Smaller clutch sizes than others.

There is the Biak locales. This is an Island off of PNG further away from Australia. These GTP's are bigger in size, more aggressive and tend to be more "morph" friendly. They have larger clutches sizes. This is where the Red hatchlings mostly come from.

There is the Sarong locale which is smaller and carries alot of blue in its lines. Apprently there is alot of these types here in OZ. Good "morph" potential.

There is the Aru locale which is somewhat similar to the Merauke type.

So my questions are these.
1. Are Aussies more prone to prolapsing as I have heard?
2. What are the most common "exotics" in Oz?
3. Aussies are harder to breed?
4. Aussie lack any form of colour morphs?

I am not against the socalled "exotics", that boat has left regardless of what people may think.
Thx

I was wondering if people could shed some light on GTP's.
There is the Merauke locales, which are what the Aussie native GTP's are, as well as some in southern PNG close to cape yorke. These are known for their deep green colour with the while makings down their backs. Smaller in size than other locales. They are also less "morph" friendly and are only yellow as hatchlings. Smaller clutch sizes than others . Not so.

There is the Biak locales. This is an Island off of PNG Off Indonesia, not PNG further away from Australia. These GTP's are bigger in size, more aggressive and tend to be more "morph" friendly. They have larger clutches sizes. This is where the Red hatchlings mostly come from. As well as other Indo. PNG localities.

There is the Sarong locale which is smaller and carries alot of blue in its lines. Apprently there is alot of these types here in OZ. Good "morph" potential.

There is the Aru locale which is somewhat similar to the Merauke type.

There are other locales specific (distinct) morphs in PNG and Indonesia.

So my questions are these.
1. Are Aussies more prone to prolapsing as I have heard? definitely not.
2. What are the most common "exotics" in Oz? farm bred in Indonesian farms, mix locale, no one really knows their origins.
3. Aussies are harder to breed? no.
4. Aussie lack any form of colour morphs? they are less variable than the others.

I am not against the socalled "exotics", that boat has left regardless of what people may think.
Thx

I hope this helps a bit.

Cool, thx for that. So a silly question maybe, do the "exotics" come from places like PNG/Indon into Oz, or are they more likely to come in via captive bred ones from the USA or Europe?

Except for a few odd ones that are sent by 'mom from South Africa', etc., the majority of them are captive bred in Indonesian farms and delivered via "another country".

So it hasnt been too difficult to get them into Oz I am gathering.
So the vast majority of GTP's on Oz collections would infact mot be Aussies?

You have to love statistics lol. :lol:
Who did the collection, analysis, interpretation or explanation, and presentation of data? :lol:

Lets just say there is alot more exotics then there is Natives.
I just wanted to throw my remark in there for giggles as I love the falseness of mathematical statistics.

But for arguments sake:
The answers suggested are 98.8% correct. Why that figure? because it sounds about right lol.
See, anyone can pull a number out the air but where is the documented proof? at the moment it is just guesswork.
I doubt anybody even knows the exact amount of captive GTP's in Aus let alone the exotic to native ratio of them all lol.
And this does not take into effect the black market of Aus natives that are not listed.

Last edited:
Those involved with the species and the market know a tad more than those who aren't.
After all, I did say "about" 98% - that's not a statistical result. lol
I tried to answer stiffler's question as best as I could. I don't have an opinion on everything but on this subject I do.

i dont really care where its from, so long as it looks spectacular im in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back