GTP regional varieties

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52453

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting myself a GTP next year, however making sure I'm well educated, prepared, and have my enclosure ready before I even start looking to purchase one.
One thing I have noticed is that there are different varieties available- ie. I'm seeing advertised Indonesian and Papuan varieties alongside Australian natives.
Just wondering If these non-native varieties are legit/legal? Or are these considered non-exotic since they are also native to Aus?
Also, would most of the GTPs for sale be native, imported, or mixed?
Cheers

Exotic Chondros range from illegal to legally grey to fully legal depending on state and circumstances.

Most Chondros are foreign, but if the departments ask, people usually say 'Oh, native, of course, sir!', which causes some level of resentment in some states.

Natives were very difficult to source until a few years ago, but are being produced in good numbers now. In previous years people tried to pass off exotics as natives when selling, but these days exotics are usually more sought after, despite the legalities. Generally speaking, the legalities don't get in the way, and for the most part the departments either consider exotics legal or just put them in the too hard basket.

I've personally only kept them outside Australia and have never kept an Australian one.

Latest posts

Back