Handling a fiesty spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s definitely something I can’t afford to change now, but I will in the future, thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newspaper is cheap. My wife brings about 10 newspapers home a week from her work... I use it for my snakes, mice, bird cages... wonderful stuff. :p

Eating the sand isn't really the issue... it's an abrasive material, can get caught up in the cloaca, under the scales, etc. If your snake soaks in the water bowl than slides onto dry sand it'll be covered in it. I dunno, it's one of those much debated topics but it's generally deemed not ideal to use sand as a substrate for captive snakes.

Here's a little discussion on the topic.

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/sand-as-a-substrate.210411/
[doublepost=1523002992,1523002959][/doublepost]
Weaners at least.
Fair enough, but I've had the same problem on some other particle substrates like Chipsi Bark.

Fair enough, but I've had the same problem on some other particle substrates like Chipsi Bark.
Mate I can't comment personally on either because I'd just never keep a snake on sand or anything it could swallow whilst eating (personal preference) it's just newspaper all the way for me once they graduate from paper towel. I'm not overly concerned with What it "looks" like. Looks and smells clean to me, I'm happy lol.

Mate I can't comment personally on either because I'd just never keep a snake on sand or anything it could swallow whilst eating (personal preference) it's just newspaper all the way for me once they graduate from paper towel. I'm not overly concerned with What it "looks" like. Looks and smells clean to me, I'm happy lol.
Fair enough, I personally wouldn't use sand for snakes though regardless.

Fair enough, I personally wouldn't use sand for snakes though regardless.
Agreed. Sand isn't for snakes in my book but is a must for turtles, River sand is the only suitable substrate for freshwater turtles. :)

Should I handle him in between now and his next feed? Which will be Sunday because I fed him on Monday. He seems hungry now as he is scaling the place looking for food ‍♀️

Agreed. Sand isn't for snakes in my book but is a must for turtles, River sand is the only suitable substrate for freshwater turtles. :)

I will definitely change it, it’s so hard when your a beginner in any hobby. So much misinformation spread around [emoji31]

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I handle him in between now and his next feed? Which will be Sunday because I fed him on Monday. He seems hungry now as he is scaling the place looking for food ‍♀️

What is the purpose of handling? Because you want to?? Or??? Sorry, not having a go at you or anything, just wanting to know the point of it?? I don't handle at all, unless for a photo.

Do you know his weight by chance, should definitely be upped a size, my darwin is 200g on 60g rats, so whilst you don’t have to follow that ratio, it should give you an idea

What is the purpose of handling? Because you want to?? Or??? Sorry, not having a go at you or anything, just wanting to know the point of it?? I don't handle at all, unless for a photo.

Because I’d like too, I’d like him to feel comfortable. I know he will never be 100% because yes he is a snake but in the case of cleaning his tank, enclosure changes or any necessary handling. I’d prefer to get him used to it now than when he is fully grown..I’m trying to build my confidence aswell, getting used to getting bitten and just the handling of snakes

Do you know his weight by chance, should definitely be upped a size, my darwin is 200g on 60g rats, so whilst you don’t have to follow that ratio, it should give you an idea

Ah I don’t know his weight as I don’t have any kitchen scales or anything I can weigh him with.[emoji21]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, well that's fair enough. :)
[doublepost=1523004433,1523004370][/doublepost]
Ah I don’t know his weight as I don’t have any kitchen scales or anything I can weigh him with.[emoji21]

Weigh yourself on some accurate digital bathroom scales then weigh yourself again holding your snake. ;)
That's how I weigh my dogs. Works a treat.

the best time to handle is a couple of days after feeding or a couple of days before feeding.My routine is feed the snakes on Saturday and if possible handle Tuesday or Wednesday

the best time to handle is a couple of days after feeding and a couple of days before feeding.My routine is feed the snakes on Saturday and if possible handle Tuesday or Wednesday

Usually what I do :)

And... avoid handling entirely if the snake is in the shed cycle. My Stimmy has been in shed for a week and a half now, eyes were blue on Tuesday and clear yesterday so must not be far off new PJ's now. :D

It’s definitely something I can’t afford to change now, but I will in the future, thank you :)

Woolworths Select recycled cat litter is fantastic substrate for snakes. The big 21litre bag is $15 and depending on the enclosure size, should give you a couple of refills. I find it great for spot cleaning between full cleans also. :)

Woolworths Select recycled cat litter is fantastic substrate for snakes. The big 21litre bag is $15 and depending on the enclosure size, should give you a couple of refills. I find it great for spot cleaning between full cleans also. :)

I know this sounds dumb but are there any nicer looking options??

I know this sounds dumb but are there any nicer looking options??

Lol not dumb at all. I used to use euci mulch from Bunnings. They sell big bags of the stuff fairly cheap, however it does get dusty... but it’s a good alternative it the more expensive critters crumble.

The snake really won’t care what his substrate looks like though! :p

Lol not dumb at all. I used to use euci mulch from Bunnings. They sell big bags of the stuff fairly cheap, however it does get dusty... but it’s a good alternative it the more expensive critters crumble.

The snake really won’t care what his substrate looks like though! :p

I’ll check it out, thanks!

can't afford is an easy excuse but not acceptable,you have been told sand is not a natural substrate for snakes ( good for dragons though),sure they come across it in the wild but are not forced to live on it full time.I don't like newspaper but it will do, I don't like kitty litter but it will do,these are cheap options that you could use while you have no money.Your snakes health is more important than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back