Handling a fiesty spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got him i will try and put pics up of him but this is his setup
c64b95abfe882ca88addf00131eb36a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
What are you using for a heat source?

I don't think anyone has mentioned the time of day when handling pythons. I don't even think about getting mine out at night time, that's when they are thinking about food. even early morning can be a problem.

Sorry Mick but I tend to disagree.
If I have time set aside to clean enclosures or feed or change water dishes at 8am or 10pm then thats when it's happening. If you only feed/handle at a specific time of day then you are opening a whole new can of worms. Feeding & handling, (as all activities) should be at varied times/days so there is no expectation of feeding when the enclosure is opened at any time of day or night.
We all lead busy lives and dealing with our reptile duties needs to happen when we have time available/when its required, not in line with our little tetchy animal dictating when its going to happen.

Finally got him i will try and put pics up of him but this is his setup
c64b95abfe882ca88addf00131eb36a8.jpg

Is this your first snake?? I’d suggest using a ceramic heat emitter instead of a heat mat, make sure you are using a thermostat as heat mats get quite hot, here’s a photo I have of a snake that got burnt by one
46fe03c8de9f86a5e1f3a6fea6d9a0c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a direct contact burn :eek: did u have heat mat inside or out

Ah, looks more like it wrapped around a globe or che to be honest

Is this your first snake?? I’d suggest using a ceramic heat emitter instead of a heat mat, make sure you are using a thermostat as heat mats get quite hot, here’s a photo I have of a snake that got burnt by one
46fe03c8de9f86a5e1f3a6fea6d9a0c4.jpg

Na this is my second snake so yea they have had the heat under for 3 years hasnt got burnt but yea i know im experienced more in snakes than lizards

I’d suggest using a ceramic heat emitter instead of a heat mat

I personally don't like either.
CHE's get extremely hot and should always be used with a cage. Add the fact that people tend to use oversized CHEs for the enclosure and they end up being on a very short period of time but very, very hot.
There are many low quality heat mats now in the market from China. And heat mats are often set up incorrectly by inexperienced people.

Everyone screams about using a thermostat but they are not 100% neccesary unless you have an oversized heat source. I use globes in many of mine, sized to give the temp I want when they are on all the time. Only reason for a thermostat on that set up is to keep the lights off on hot days.

I wouldn't use a heat emitter. A hot spot created by a heat cord is plenty rather than using a heat emitter which is going to heat all the air in that enclosure (which is unnecessary).

I also would not use a thermostat but rather a heat cord on a timer. I don't use a thermostat for my snakes at all, the only thermostats in use are on my reptile egg incubators.

Last edited:
Hmm okay

So much information it’s hard to know what is right these days [emoji28]

Last edited by a moderator:
o much information it’s hard to know what is right these days
emoji28.png

And often the advice you receive will be conflicting which can make things even more difficult Chloe.
I can only say that you look at all the options and listen to all the advice then make your own decision on what is best for you. (Ideally its wise to have a back up plan)

Research is always your friend, if you can find someone local who can mentor you and demonstrate/explain the reasons they do things the way they do even better. There are many ways to achieve your goal but some are less predictable/reliable than others but nothing is fool proof.

If they crap in the water dish and it needs changing, i'll change whatever time of day it needs to be changed. but i'm not going to try to handle my jungle girl when she's snapping at the glass, I wasn't saying get them into a routine. I'm just saying they are nocturnal, they naturally hunt at night. I'm also new to this so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, especially if i'm learning something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back