Hard time heating enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickiG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m having a hard time heating an enclosure for my future hatchling. Aprox 4mo. I have a 7.9l click clack and keeping a consistent temp in there is proving hard, as well as finding something that will support providing the heat.

I currently have a lamp that is only for max 25w, so I need to buy even more things to hold the che over it. The room temp drops far too much overnight and the enclosure becomes too cold. Even during the day, but not as much.

I had a mat but it was even worse, so I returned that.

I have a couple thin sheets of packing foam around the underside, back and half over the top but I doubt it’s doing much.

Is there anything else I can do or use to hold the heat in? Would putting this tub into a 25l, covered/dark tub help with the lamp over it? Maybe put a little hole into the smaller tub so she can move away from the temp in the small enclosure.

This is getting so frustrating.

Last edited:
I had a 7L tub with an 8w heat mat underneath. Then went to a 14L tub I think it might have been with a 16w mat. I'm not sure how you're not getting heat in the tub? They're actually really effective at keeping temperature? Was your heat mat attached to a thermostat? And was your thermostat set to around 32/33 degrees? Heat mat under a third or half of the tub should absolutely do the job?

I had a 7L tub with an 8w heat mat underneath. Then went to a 14L tub I think it might have been with a 16w mat. I'm not sure how you're not getting heat in the tub? They're actually really effective at keeping temperature? Was your heat mat attached to a thermostat? And was your thermostat set to around 32/33 degrees? Heat mat under a third or half of the tub should absolutely do the job?
It was heating up, it just wasn’t staying consistent. Maybe it was faulty? I have a new one now, in a different enclosure because it melted haha it’s 7w but I’m not sure where to set the max temperature because I’m pretty sure I saw it read at 37, but it might have been 27 😬 I’m worried I’ll have it too high and she’ll go under the bedding and burn herself on the glass.

Latest posts

Back