has anyone ever built there own incubator?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurtonReptiles

Reaction score
i was looking around to see the best option in building a incubator has anyone ever build one like this or used this type before?

or like this?

Attach the heating pad to the bottom of the glass tank based on the manufacturer's instructions. The heating pad should not be directly in the center of the bottom of the tank, but on one side or the other.

Add sand to the tank until there is approximately 1 inch of sand all the way around. Smooth the sand out so that it is flat from end to end.

Press the plastic container down into the center of the tank, wedging it down into the sand so that it is firmly in place.

Fill the plastic container halfway with vermiculite. Dampen the vermiculite, but do not get it too wet. Plug in the heating pad and wait until the vermiculite feels warm.

Use your thumb to create an imprint in the vermiculite for each of the eggs that you need to incubate. Transfer the eggs over carefully, taking care not to turn or flip them over, as this can cause damage to the growing embryos inside.

Attach the thermometer to the tank to keep track of the temperature. Take care not to let the tank get too hot. The sand will remain hot and keep the vermiculite warm, which will incubate the bearded dragon eggs.

Place the mesh lid on top and cover 3/4 of the lid with the hand towel. The purpose of the hand towel is to soak up any condensation that rises to keep it from raining back down on top of the eggs. You want the vermiculite to stay warm, but not at the expense of getting the eggs wet in the process

Read more: How to Make an Incubator for Bearded Dragon Eggs | eHow.com How to Make an Incubator for Bearded Dragon Eggs | eHow.com

Attachments

• incubatoregg.jpg
    incubatoregg.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 168
I have never seen an inc set up like that... interesting

Most of us just use old bar fridges or wine fridges with heatcord tape along the back walls. Fridges are perfect for holding temps, kinda what their designed to do really lol.

coollite boxes with heat cord taped into place on a thermostat.. cant beat that and all for under $25 best incubator i ever had

i use a polystyrene box with a heat pad, thermostat and bedding. All of my eggs such as pythons, geckos, dragons and skinks have all come out completely fine.

step one: get coolite/polystyrene/esky box

step two put a hole in one side to pass the heat cable through

step three run the heat cord through the hole and in a zig zag fashion over the bottom of the box
secure with either heat tape or we used wood offcute to make grooves for it so it could be removed and the egg containers were up of the tape

step four: put a hole in lid for thermostat and thermometre to have access

step five: plug the cord into the thermostat set thermostat plug into wall add egg containers/eggs

step six: wait for them to hatch

simple! might i add we had a better success rate out of this one than we did out of a comercially brought incubator! and from what im hearing we produced alot of females from our beardie clutches.

Last edited:
The incubator in the pics a nightmare, go for that one if you want absolutely no control over temps or humidity (or if you feel like sitting next to it for 60 days turning the heat on and off).

A reliable incubator is simple using a microclimate or similar thermostat, a foam esky and a heat cord.

step one: get coolite/polystyrene/esky box

step two put a hole in one side to pass the heat cable through

step three run the heat cord through the hole and in a zig zag fashion over the bottom of the box
secure with either heat tape or we used wood offcute to make grooves for it so it could be removed and the egg containers were up of the tape

step four: put a hole in lid for thermostat and thermometre to have access

step five: plug the cord into the thermostat set thermostat plug into wall add egg containers/eggs

step six: wait for them to hatch

simple! might i add we had a better success rate out of this one than we did out of a comercially brought incubator! and from what im hearing we produced alot of females from our beardie clutches.
where can you get heat cords from?

Have a look at The Herp Shop, sponsor on this site. Any good reptile shop will have them though.

This is what we did... Hope it helps someone! :)

Attachments

• Incubator Pictures 001.jpg
    Incubator Pictures 001.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Incubator Pictures 002.jpg
    Incubator Pictures 002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Incubator Pictures 003.jpg
    Incubator Pictures 003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Incubator Pictures 004.jpg
    Incubator Pictures 004.jpg