Hatchling cages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy S

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting an Antaresia of some type in the coming months and I am gathering supplies now. I am looking at the REPTILE ONE HATCHLING HAVEN BLACK ACRYLIC W/ANTI-TIP WATER DISH 200WX300DX150H MM. Would this be ok for these tiny python hatchlings or is this cage still too big for them? If so, please suggest suitable cages.
Your advice is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
No such thing as too big, I keep my baby carpet in a 1.5x1.5x2 ft Exo Terra and she loves every bit of it.

Excuse the crappy photo, she’s currently eating and I didn’t want to disturb her to take a better photo 😂

Attachments

• AE340F10-B4A6-40DA-92D5-26C8110B050B.jpeg
    AE340F10-B4A6-40DA-92D5-26C8110B050B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I am a newbie , so take the next bit with a grain of salt and know that if I am wrong someone will kindly set me straight but ....

Most here will tell you tubs for hatchlings. The measurements you've given seem appropriate for a hatchling though. One thing I've learnt is that there are a lot of differing opinions. Just do what's best for the animal. Do what is tried and true.

No such thing as too big, I keep my baby carpet in a 1.5x1.5x2 ft Exo Terra and she loves every bit of it.

Excuse the crappy photo, she’s currently eating and I didn’t want to disturb her to take a better photo 😂
Actually that is not true for juveniles, at least with these particular pythons.

I am a newbie , so take the next bit with a grain of salt and know that if I am wrong someone will kindly set me straight but ....

Most here will tell you tubs for hatchlings. The measurements you've given seem appropriate for a hatchling though. One thing I've learnt is that there are a lot of differing opinions. Just do what's best for the animal. Do what is tried and true.
Thank you. I've since been in contact with a breeder, who has advised that that hatchling cage is an appropriate size for these pythons. Will possibly house a pygmy python for a year or more.

Actually that is not true for juveniles, at least with these particular pythons.

Oh 100% it depends on the individual snake, Sunni (the snake in the picture) had to live in a sistema tub until she would start eating with me, but now that she’s a great eater I’ve upgraded her.

It’s all up to the person who owns the snake, I’ve had people tell me to put her back in a tub even though she’s doing absolutely fine in her larger tank.

Back