Hatchy water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwaka_80

Reaction score
Finally after 8 years in the hobby and numerous snakes later I have finally got myself some water dragons... I have always dreamt about having a lizzard pit with water dragons, blueys and a pond for my turtle.

It's funny how things fall into place, we recently moved to acreage at Imbil QLD which will allow us to have he space to do such venture. I never thought it would be possible so I put that idea on a back burner. The misses was looking for new babies for her little collection (actually my animals but they are ones she has come across and bought) and she found an ad for water dragons. Yelled from the other room "you did want water dragons didn't you" "would love them" I said. "$30 each in gympie" my reply "when are we going to gympie". A day later and we have 2 :).

image_zpsfe1efad5.jpg

image_zps5a5e52aa.jpg

image_zps14c51efc.jpg

Still getting things finished. A few years ago I had got a beardie from a pet shop that had some vitamin deficiency and nursed it back to 95% before giving it to a mate who had other lizzards and could look after it better. Back then I found a uv bulb that fit in a bayonet style lamp holder. In the pet shop yesterday I got a IR basking lamp with a screw type fitting. I asked the lady there and she wasn't sure about any bayonet style uv bulbs or basking lamps. Which was odd, have any of you guys seen the bayonet style uv bulbs? Why would there not be a selection anymore? Anyway I'm heading to the shops first thing to get a screw type fitting for the basking lamp and I have a 2foot Fluro batten for uv.

I have plans for moving them into a 3foot tank a little down the track but they are a lot smaller then expected so will be moving them after winter passes. I currently have put in some pre packed lizzard food from urs and mealworms. Just this morning I found 1 in the food bowl and missing mealies :lol: what are you guys feeding your hatchie dragons? I have read many care sheets and will start offering them salads a little down the track but as far as insects and the like go what's more successfull?

Sorry about another of my long winded posts but thanks for taking the time...

Cheers, Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice purchase matt, pits are very rewarding and practical. Water dragons do well on most live foods, crickets, woodies and thawed pinkies as they get bigger. Mine always loved banana and cracked eggs too.

Do you mean the compact uv screw In bulbs? They are an es fitting not bayonet. Exo terra do them. A 5.0 would be best for water dragons.

Pics didn't work sorry chris. Thanks for the replies :)... Looking forward to getting them in a pit a few years down the track. Untill then I also don't mind them in the house. I'm attempting to get them fairly tame so they can be held, I have seen hand tamed dragons turn feral once outdoors. I'm hoping that with plenty of attention I can try avoid it. It's a working progress and a fine line between handling and stressing them out at this stage. Within the week I'm going to try and atleast get them feeding from my hand but it's a long shot...

How tame are your dragons? (All posters)

Cheers, Matt

Lets try again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 79
What a great looking pit [MENTION=39251]Chris82[/MENTION]. Any pics of the whole setup?
[MENTION=1779]kwaka_80[/MENTION], I can't say I've ever seen a UVB bulb with a bayonet style fitting but I think you're much better off with a tube anyway. Congrats on the new additions.

I purchased a second hand enclosure that used to house water dragons, it was a bayonet UV light? I didnt realize till I ordered a ceramic heat emitter as a screw in type that it was. I had to buy a screw in fitting to match the emitter. Point is, there must be somewhere you can get them, as this enclosure wasn't too old at all? Sorry I cannot help as to where

So I'd personally start feeding them greens/salad straight away. When you feed out the greens do so before you feed out the live food. All of my water dragons in the outside enclosure will hand feed, jump for food and will run upto you when you enter. They're calm when only centimetres away from you but generally don't like to be touched! I've found this with all water dragons I've worked with. Ill try get more pics of the pit soon

Quick pic of them basking this morning :).

So with feeding them greens, I know not to feed them tomatoes and iceberg lettuce but personally what are you guys feeding for salads and greens? What about things like cooked pumpkin/potato/sweet potato?

Cheers, Matt

Reptapets Australia does the bayonet fitted UV bulbs.
I think they are the only supplier and no one sells them near me. I did try having some posted to me once but they where damaged in transit. I believe they do ES as well.
I believe bayonet fittings are only used in Australia and Edison Screw are used more commonly world wide so more manufacturer only make ES types.
Going with ES fittings give you more choice to shop around with different brands. It is also difficult to find good quality bayonet fittings. The part that holds the pins used to be made of metal but most these days seem to be all plastic. The plastic can break down over time and you end up with the bulb hanging by a single pin when one side gives way.

I recently got some baby water dragons too. Very happy with them. Eatting machines that love crickets and eating a bit of greens. I chop up endive, choy sum or other asian greens and mix with grated raw sweet potatoe and butternut pumpkin which is then chopped smaller.
I am refitting a 6 foot fist tank for them with a cage top over it to give them more climbing space. They will go out into a pit when they out grow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back