Have a python or two in my kitchen roof- a little scared

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain top

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’ve joined this group because I know little about pythons but there has been a lot of activity this week. First two pythons were fighting and one huge one left and then ever since I see one everyday hanging on my rafters near my kitchen door and it’s very close to where I go in and out. Will it try to bite me?

Attachments

• A4F76C81-99A0-41E2-9F0D-CA6AB18744F1.jpeg
    A4F76C81-99A0-41E2-9F0D-CA6AB18744F1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Wish he lived in my roof. He won't strike unless you startle him in my experience, the Coastals are really very placid here and allow handling if picked up properly instead of being grabbed.

He'll keep pests away for you and be a really cool neighbour to show off to your friends.

Thank you so much for your reply and support. I think the snake may have been in the roof all winter but now that it’s warming up - there’s been a lot of python action on the roof. I’m grateful for my personal rat and mouse killer.

Thank you so much for your reply and support. I think the snake may have been in the roof all winter but now that it’s warming up - there’s been a lot of python action on the roof. I’m grateful for my personal rat and mouse killer.
Do you have a water heater in the roof? that would do it.

Hi,

Yeah they would have been there over winter and will move on as the weather warms up. Very common for Pythons to lay up in roofs during the colder months and not uncommon to have more than one up there.

Cheers,

George.

All of us would be delighted to have a python like that living in our roof. It poses negligible danger to humans, literally less dangerous than a cat, much less than a family pet dog etc. It's extremely unlikely to bite a human and if it does there is very little risk of injury. Many of us have been bitten by snakes that size, I've personally taken more python bites than I could count and no doubt I'll take countless more (I could make sure I never get bitten, but it's trivial enough that I don't bother). It would be scary for a non snake enthusiast but not dangerous to humans much larger than a newborn baby.

Your friends will find it fascinating and it's the best vermin control you could hope for.
What region are you in if you don't mind me asking?

I strongly recommend naming your friend :)

Back