Having issues with maintaing stable cool end temperature.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghillies

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I am setting up my first click clack for a Woma hatchling I am receiving next week and I am having issues with getting a good temperature gradient due to my room temperature being around 30ish and that even isn't on a hot day...

when my room is cooler I have no problem with the cool side being around 27 and the hot side being around 32. The hot end doesn't have a issue with maintaing temperature.

Also how can I raise humidity? It's sitting around 36%.

You don't have to manage temps or humidity so tightly. Ambient humidity is fine, you don't need to fiddle with it. It is likely that your temps are only going to be at the warm end of the spectrum during the day, so you will not need to do anything proactively to provide a "cool end." The gradient will sort itself out when the temps are cooler, but being a bit warmer at the "cool end" won't be a problem. Snakes do have more choices in the bush, but they are equipped to deal with whatever cards they're dealt. As long as your "cool end" doesn't remain above 35C for days at a time the snake will be fine, and if this does happen, just turn off all heat sources during the heat of the day. If the room gets VERY hot, 38-40+, make sure the container doesn't get sun coming through a window, and place it in the coolest part of the house (usually bathroom floor) until things cool down a bit. As I mentioned earlier today, extreme heat will kill snakes very quickly - far faster than being too cool.

You don't need to micro-manage humidity.

Jamie

I would be inclined to turn off heating if the ambient room temperature reaches 30. You could also provide a smaller heat spot by placing 1/4 or even less of the tub over the heat mat (if you are using one). Cooling just one side of a tub while still providing heat on the other would be difficult because of how compact the enclosure is. Do you have a cooler area in your home or a tiled/concrete floor you can sit the tub on?

You should be able to raise humidity by adjusting the surface area of your waterbowl and its position withing the enclosure.

Haven't had a really hot day to measure room temperature but I'm sure on a 40+ day the room wouldn't be far off.

the people I live with aren't to keep on my choice of pets so this limits me to where I can keep my scaly friend.

trying different spots around my room but may have to setup somewhere else in the house.

All you need to do on extreme days is to put the container on the floor and if you're really worried, just cover it with a damp towel through the heat of the day. It'll be fine. Relax and enjoy your critter :)!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back