Head Twitches With My Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Cheshire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I have owned a "Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python" for about 6 months now and I have noticed lately that my snake (unknown sex) will have "head twitches" when I come up to the enclosure and it looks at me. It doesn't do this normally but only when I approach the enclosure and it can see me. It is currently about 3 1/2 feet and about 2 years old (from what the original owner has told me.) I believe it is a "he" since that is what the previous owner has stated, so we will go with that terminology. "His?" temps on the hot side are high 80Fs to 90F and cool side is roughly 72F-75F and his humidity is always 30%-50% (normally about 40%) but higher in shed as I spray the tank. He has two hides, one on the hot side and one on the cool side. He gets fed a small rat every week to every other week. He has a day bulb and a night bulb (both 75 watt) along with LED strip lights aligning his enclosure which I dim throughout the day/afternoon/ off at night to give him a naturalistic ambiance. The snake seems pretty active as I seem him/her move around the enclosure (but mostly at night) ( but will still move around and be active during the day)

I understand that this morph has some neurological issues such as "Spider ball pythons" that get the "Stargaze or head wobble" but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. He eats regularly with no issues and has never refused a meal. He has shed every time since I have had him (probably 3 times) with no issues and has had a complete full shed every time.

I just want to make sure that he/she is doing well and I don't have anything to worry about. I am in Utah, United States and I don't have many reputable reptile vets readily available to me. I have searched many times as I have kept many different reptiles from (monitor lizards, Reticulateds, Boas (both BCI and BCC, Savannah Monitors, Argentine Tegu, Veiled Chameleons.)

When I approach the enclosure the snake's head is the only thing that twitches and it twitches very rapidly as if it were straining all the muscles in it's head. I have tried to find more information on this through YouTube and some other sites but I can't find anything that explains what I am seeing with my carpet python.

If any of you would have some helpful advice, I would really appreciate it as I want to give him/her the best life possible.
20200610_032221.jpg20200610_032227.jpg
203136-9cc3670fc4dec2999c19575ccbf6c10f.jpg
203137-73da369a59621422899ec93f61bbe060.jpg

Thanks,

Drew.

20200610_032211.jpg

20200531_205715.jpg

It's a jag, they're neurologically defective, it causes this.

That is what I figured it was but I wanted someone else's opinion. Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it! I wasn't sure if maybe it was something I was doing wrong or not.

That is what I figured it was but I wanted someone else's opinion. Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it! I wasn't sure if maybe it was something I was doing wrong or not.

Nope, if I took it and looked after it as best I could, it would keep on having the same issue. It's just a jag :)

Latest posts

Back