Heat Lamp and Temperature For Children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannahchikka

Reaction score
Help please,

Got a Yearling Children's Python and I've only had him for a few weeks and he hasn't eaten yet.
I got a Thermo Hygrostat connected to Heat Mat, Heat Lamp and UV Light.
The Thermo was set up at the pet shop that sells snakes but I don't know if the temperatures are right (the guy owns snakes himself).
At 2:30pm it says 23°C where the Temperature Probe is. I have the probe under the Heat Lamp inside the enclosure a bit above ground level (he doesn't have a high stick to climb.)
The temperature is currently set at 32°C in the day and 30°C at night. (6pm-6am is the set night time for the snake).
What temperatures should it be for day and night? Also what humidity.
Also where about's should I put the Heat Lamp and temperature probe? (like the left side of the cage or middle). The heat lamp is on the top, the top of the cage is mesh.

He's slithering around in the day trying to find a way to leave.
Please help I am really worried about it all.

Last edited:
you only need 1 heating element - Lamp or Mat Or UV light (assuming its a basking light) - all 3 and you will cook your snake

If you're using a heat mat, put prob under the substrate

If using a heat lamp, Put it directly under the lamp where he would go to bask - or the closest platform to lamp (or stick)

for temps; Hot spot should be 30 - 34 Cold end should be 20-26 (lower during night)

and heat from sunrise to sunset - usually 6-6 unless your breeding then middle of winter should be like 9-3

Humidity isnt really important as long as its not too high, usually only need a bowl of water and the heat will take care of it

When you say hot spot do you mean the thermometer probes temperature or the set temperature of the thermostat. Because the set temperature was 32 but the probe said the temperature under the heat lamp is 23 (because a lot of heat was coming out of the top mesh.) I have now put towels covering the mesh so the temperature doesn't leave the tank (only left a tiny bit so air can still come in). I am now just using the heat lamp. Thanks for helping :)

Last edited:
The lamp is only as strong as its wattage

What wattage has u picked? a 50w lamp should be good on a thermostat

I'd have the heat lamp and thermo-probe to one side of your tank, water dish nearer to that side to allow humidity to increase just watch to make sure it doesn't dry out. That way your snake has a warm side and a cooler side.
Hide in the cooler end of the tank.
We have a 7 yr old Children's Python and Charlie is a picky eater as well. Can go for weeks, even months during summer not eating. Then gets hungry and smashes his rats, week after week.
Humidity is important for their shedding, CP are renowned for having a broken slough if the humidity isn't high enough. Having said that, we don't have a humidity probe..just a large flattish ceramic water dish that we keep filled and which is placed nearer to the heat globe. We run a 40 watt red heat globe at around 32 degrees on a temperature probe and we don't drop it for night time or anything. We also run a normal fluro tube for lighting during the day. Our tank is probably only 60xm x 100cm x 60cm, so it's not a huge tank and the 40 watt globe keeps him warm enough. His hide is a terracotta pot, which he loves.

Just keep offering him meals, I find our CP prefers a smaller velvet rat to a hopper or small sized rat and he will usually take 2 or 3 when he is hungry.

Good luck with your snakey.

A photo of the cage setup often helps.Watch the snake :If its always on the heat its to cold. If its never there the cage may be too hot. You dont need UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back