Heat mat + CHE for a diamond?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48297

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm picking up a diamond python in a few weeks - he's about 40cm long and smashing fuzzy rats. A diamond is my dream species of snake so I'm super excited to add one to the family, but nervous as well as my only other snake experience comes from Antaresias. I've been doing a lot of reading in preparation and today picked up and set up his enclosure; it's 45 x 45 x 60cm and I've got a hide on the bottom and a basking platform underneath the 50 watt CHE that I've set to go on from 10 am to 4 pm. Once it clicks on tomorrow I'll start getting temp readings on the platform and figure out if I need to move it up/down/bigger wattage globe/etc to get the basking spot to 30-32c.

I live in Sydney, and the snake will be living inside in a temperature-controlled flat.

There seems to be conflicting information about whether the CHE will be sufficient enough heat-wise or if I should offer underfloor heating in the form of a heat mat. From the reading I've done, it seems the most danger in diamonds is keeping them too hot, so I'm wondering what the advice is for a first time keeper of these guys? Any other advice and tips would be great :)

Hi Mevsrus
Under floor heating in the form of a heat mat or cord through a thermostat is the go , CHE's are ineficient and more expensive to run .I would just make sure the snake has some place in its enclosure it can excape the heat at all times. Good luck
[doublepost=1600792394,1600782043][/doublepost]If you do go with under floor heating, you can always replace the CHE with a low wattage basking light on a timer , but make sure you have a protective cage around any bulb you use as young morelia's like to climb.

Latest posts

Back