heat mat doesnt appear to be getting hot enough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGBxx

Reaction score
Hello

I am just about to pick up my first ever snake (an albino darwin) and I am in the process of setting up its click clack.
I am using a 10L Sistema tub.

For heating I am running a Reptile One 7w heat mat plgged into an EcoTech Dual Control Thermostat.
Substrate is just plain old paper towel.

I set the temp on the thermostat to be 32c with a 2c differential, I got this all set up this morning and have had it running ever since.
The issue is that the thermostat hasnt clicked over past 29c all day and it sitting at about 28.5c generally.

The tub is set up in my room on top of some wooden drawers with silicone oven mats between the drawers and the heat mat, then the heat mat is in direct contact with the tub.
What can I do to increase the temps?

Where is your probe placed? Assuming it’s in the correct position (on the base of container above heat mat) you can try increasing thermostat temps to 34 and see if the extra power can push it higher, otherwise easiest option is to just get a 10/14w and put it under 1/3 of the tub :)

Had the same problem... different thermostat though. I got a ceramic tile from bunning(s), placed the heat mat underneath and in contact the tile, and the thermostat probe on top where Cosmo reside (in contact with the tile), et voila! controlling well after tile was heat soaked. I later added paper towel on top of the tile, cause it seemed more comfortable...

Last edited:
Where is your probe placed? Assuming it’s in the correct position (on the base of container above heat mat) you can try increasing thermostat temps to 34 and see if the extra power can push it higher, otherwise easiest option is to just get a 10/14w and put it under 1/3 of the tub :)
An update on this, I put a separate thermometer probe actually inside the hide on the hot end and it's reading good temps of 32c.
The thermostat probe is just outside the hide but still on top of the heat mat and reads as 28.5c generally.

Does this sound okay, if inside the hide is correct should I just be happy with this and leave it?

An update on this, I put a separate thermometer probe actually inside the hide on the hot end and it's reading good temps of 32c.
The thermostat probe is just outside the hide but still on top of the heat mat and reads as 28.5c generally.

Does this sound okay, if inside the hide is correct should I just be happy with this and leave it?
youll have to set the thermostat to like 29-30 then, so that during the hotter months when the TS probe reads 32, it wont be 37 inside the hide
also you will need a way to set the probe in a way that the snake cant move it, you can put it between the mat and tub

Place the probe where you want the temp controlled, preferably in contact with the surface - that way you can be sure temp is correct...

Back