Heat mat in enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Jane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can I put a heat mat inside my snakes enclosure? I can’t afford a new bulb as it blew as well as my thermostat and the ceramic bulb holder and I simply cannot afford to buy new ones right now, I’m so, so broke.

There is a hole in the bottom of his enclosure where I can place a heat mat, some tile over the top and then his newspaper substrate. Is this okay? I’ve heard mixed things about heat mats and heat cords inside enclosures but I’m so stuck and he’s been without heat for about a week and a half now but less than two weeks. Don’t worry, it’s warm where I am and he is doing fine, but the breeder who gave him to me has said he’ll take him back but has been mucking me around and not responding so I’ll have to try and do something at home for the meantime. Please don’t judge me, I promise he is okay. I just want to feed him but I can’t because he has no proper heat source.

What happens if they defecate in the enclosure on the heat mat?

I can attach photos tomorrow - I need to get some sleep now because I have work early in the morning. I’m just having a stress attack.

Is this a hatchling? They can go without food for an impressive amount of time and I would have done the same with not feeding him when he’s got no heat. I can’t say much about having a heat mat since I haven’t used one myself. One concern would be having the snake push the tile off the mat. He’d at least be able to move off it if he was getting hot, but snakes are known to burn themselves on things.

Is this a hatchling? They can go without food for an impressive amount of time and I would have done the same with not feeding him when he’s got no heat. I can’t say much about having a heat mat since I haven’t used one myself. One concern would be having the snake push the tile off the mat. He’d at least be able to move off it if he was getting hot, but snakes are known to burn themselves on things.
Hi! He’s actually about 6 years old. I know he will be fine without food, it’s been about 40 days since his last feed because I’ve decreased his feeds from every 14 days to every 30 days so as to not over feed him now he’s gotten big. I just don’t like to go over that but I’ve had no choice.

The mat gets to around 39° on top of the newspaper on some parts so I’m very worried even though he’s always been good at regulating himself. I’m turning it off at night because no one can really walk by and check him, and will have it on during the day where my mum can check him while I’m at work. I told her to check and see if he goes under the newspaper. I just have to do what I have to do, I guess. There’s nothing else I can do. It’s either this or no heat at all at the moment. I just wish my bloody thermostat didn’t blow because of the heat bulb blowing.

Yeah, that’s pretty hot, I don’t blame you for being worried. I know they can safely go without eating for at least 6 months without it being detrimental. I had a ceramic heater blow after 10 years of use. It burned the top of the enclosure and made a loud bang as it stopped working. It’s hard when finances aren’t good, I’ve been there. I haven’t got much left after the vet bills for my boy and I lost him. It sounds like you’re doing the best you can with a crappy situation. I hope things get better for you soon.

Yeah, that’s pretty hot, I don’t blame you for being worried. I know they can safely go without eating for at least 6 months without it being detrimental. I had a ceramic heater blow after 10 years of use. It burned the top of the enclosure and made a loud bang as it stopped working. It’s hard when finances aren’t good, I’ve been there. I haven’t got much left after the vet bills for my boy and I lost him. It sounds like you’re doing the best you can with a crappy situation. I hope things get better for you soon.
They can! I guess it’s just in our nature as humans to feed up our animals because it’s what we do personally, haha.
Oh goodness, I’m so sorry you lost him. I lost my last snake to an RI that wouldn’t go away. It’s a heart ache like no other.

Thank you a lot. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s something else I can put on top of the tiles to keep the heat down. I’m thankful that it’s summer and unless it gets below 20° in there, he’ll be fine - means I’ve got some time. But I worry, nonetheless.

Thanks for your help.

Oh no, I’m sorry about your other snake. It really does hurt to lose them. Keep us updated with how your boy goes.

I wouldn't put a heat mat inside the enclosure they should be attached on the external underside of the enclosure. Doing this should help to reduce the temperature. It also eliminates any chance of direct contact with the heat mat as they can get very hot with no thermostat.

I wouldn't put a heat mat inside the enclosure they should be attached on the external underside of the enclosure. Doing this should help to reduce the temperature. It also eliminates any chance of direct contact with the heat mat as they can get very hot with no thermostat.
Sarah Jane doesn't say if it's a glass or wooden enclosure, heat mat's can only be put under glass enclosures, if it's wooden then heat mat's can't be used

Latest posts

Back