Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannahchikka

Reaction score
Hi,

So I got a Yearling Children's Python.
I got a Thermo Hygrostat connected to a Heat Lamp, temperature set to 30°C.
But it says 22°C where the Temperature Probe is.
I have the probe set under where the heat light is, same level as the top of his hide (the hide is big enough for him to bask on).
I am using a ceramic heater which is 100 watts.
If I get a globe thats 150 watts will the temperature go up to 30°C like its suppose to?
I have tried changing the temperatures but it doesn't go any higher.
Sadly got a tank where the tanks height is the longest section which is why the temperature is off.

Help please.

Hi,

So I got a Yearling Children's Python.
I got a Thermo Hygrostat connected to a Heat Lamp, temperature set to 30°C.
But it says 22°C where the Temperature Probe is.
I have the probe set under where the heat light is, same level as the top of his hide (the hide is big enough for him to bask on).
I am using a ceramic heater which is 100 watts.
If I get a globe thats 150 watts will the temperature go up to 30°C like its suppose to?
I have tried changing the temperatures but it doesn't go any higher.
Sadly got a tank where the tanks height is the longest section which is why the temperature is off.

Help please.
How big is enclosure? Send pics? Children’s are not an arboreal species so you will have to go heat mat/cord or a spotlight from bunnings that directly shoots light down (che do a 360 emition)

What do you mean 360 emition?
Is that the name of the heat light I get in bunnings?
Can I please have more detail in the bunnings light idea, I don't know about lights or anything. Like a picture, name or link.

IMG_20190603_213417.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean 360 emition?
It was a misspelling. He meant to say 360* emission, as in it heats in all directions. A CHE is not focused and creates ambient heat. In a tall enclosure like yours, it will not effectively heat the bottom.
Can I please have more detail in the bunnings light idea, I don't know about lights or anything. Like a picture, name or link.
If you want to continue with globes, consider something similar to these:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-60w-clear-r63-spot-reflector-es-globe-2-pack_p4340913
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-75w-r80-clear-es-reflector-globe-2-pack_p7010016
Adjust wattage as needed - this will probably take some trial and error.

I would recommend floor heating to be honest, either with a Heat Cord or even Heat Mat (cord would be better, but is a bit more DIY) - Just remember, no tape in the enclosure. And Heat Mats go on the outside.

Edit: Also, be aware that whilst Antaresia are not arboreal, they may still climb. Ensure there are no surfaces up the top near the globe that could burn your snake. A "touch test" should suffice - If you cannot hold your hand on it for 30-60 seconds then that is going to be enough to burn your snake.

Thank you so much guys for helping. I will get it set up so snake can be content .

It's also better to measure "surface temperature" rather than ambient temperature. The probe stuck t the glass wall isn't telling your what your Ant is actually feeling in, or on, the hide.
I run a Phillips 60W Spot light at a height of 45cm above the floor. I get a temp of 34(ish) temperature on the floor tile below the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back