Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicatt1

Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a snake, potentially a woma python currently. After doing some research I’ve found articles recommending lamps from above but noticed in the Facebook groups heat mats are more so recommended. Can you please tell me what the contributing factors are when choosing a heat source? Do some snakes prefer one over the other or is it personal preference of the owner? Any tips you have please let me know! I won’t be getting one for another few months so I have time to think

edit: will probably do a pvc enclosure if that helps

Last edited:
Both my Womas are in racks, so they have a heat cord. My larger one used to live in an enclosure with a light for heat. I'm not sure which they would prefer, they seem to do well with either.
[doublepost=1572476800,1572476730][/doublepost]By the way, Woma pythons are awesome snakes, great first choice.

Both my Womas are in racks, so they have a heat cord. My larger one used to live in an enclosure with a light for heat. I'm not sure which they would prefer, they seem to do well with either.
[doublepost=1572476800,1572476730][/doublepost]By the way, Woma pythons are awesome snakes, great first choice.
Oh that’s reassuring knowing they seem flexible either way, thank you!

For diurnal reptiles a spotlight works well. It mimics the sun. For nocturnal reptiles like Womas, floor heat works best. Womas are active at night, in nature the ground has warmed up and is usually warmer than the air during the evening when they are active.

For rainforest animals (whether nocturnal or diurnal) some form of ambient heating works best - heat panels or better still home made versions using heat cords. Even the old party globes can work well for these.

Womas are a classic example of a snake which will do best with floor heat. The come from arid regions, they stay underground during the day when the surface of the ground often reaches 80+ degrees (yes, completely deadly to be on for more than a few seconds) and come out to explore when the ground has cooled to a comfortable temperature.

For diurnal reptiles a spotlight works well. It mimics the sun. For nocturnal reptiles like Womas, floor heat works best. Womas are active at night, in nature the ground has warmed up and is usually warmer than the air during the evening when they are active.

For rainforest animals (whether nocturnal or diurnal) some form of ambient heating works best - heat panels or better still home made versions using heat cords. Even the old party globes can work well for these.

Womas are a classic example of a snake which will do best with floor heat. The come from arid regions, they stay underground during the day when the surface of the ground often reaches 80+ degrees (yes, completely deadly to be on for more than a few seconds) and come out to explore when the ground has cooled to a comfortable temperature.
This is great input and makes me understand what to look for a lot more and comparing their lives to in the wild. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back