Heating/Lighting Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talanthas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Too much information and contradictory opinions on the internet so I'm after straight forward answers if possible. Making two enclosures for beardies. Basking light on timer or thermostat? I'm assuming that it would be the same answer for a basking light for snakes? What is best choice for heating at night? Ambient, under substrate or other option? Looking to house two beardies (or 1 beardie and other terrestrial herp) and a diamond python if that helps. Oh and enclosure sizes will be two 1200wx600hx600d and one 1000wx1200hx600d if that makes any difference.

Okay first question first, I have been keeping beardies for many years. I keep all my reptiles on timers, no faith in thermos. If it's going to be a hot day I change my timers to have a siesta, the hotter the day the longer the siesta.
Question for snakes ? On a hot day I turn off all heat for my pythons and just leave the UV on.
Night time heating, NO SUCH THING. beardies do NOT require night heat, they come from the desert which is freezing cold at night. We had a thread ages ago where we ended up agreeing that captive beardies do not require night heat unless it gets below 12C, now remember this is outside temps. Your house will never get this low unless you live in the snowys etc.

I live in Melton VIC and it has been known to drop to 5 degrees in the house overnight during winter. Usually on nights when it hits 0 or below outside. This is why I'm looking into night time heating.

Latest posts

Back