(Help!) BHP 4 month old - defensive & elusive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanz Hapin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I this is my very 1st snake I purchased from VHS Expo yesterday.
A 4 month old black headed python.

I noticed that I cannot seem to handle him well as he always try to escape or coil up in a defensive pose.
He also twitches or get spooked out very easily when I make sudden movements near his enclosure.

Is this a normal behavior for this age? or should I be worried?
Someone told me at the expo that they get better as they grow older.
I envy watching the older BHPs from the Expo & was freely handled by everybody without any issues.

Check out the photo for my BHP.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks All!
Hanz

bhp.jpg

No offence, but that is not a good setup for a snake. You need to provide a warm area where the snake can hide and a cool area where it can hide.

So hatchlings do much better in small enclosures and tubs, it helps them feel safer and more secure
In the enclosure pictured he would feel very exposed and nervous.

You should leave him to settle into a new home for 1-2 weeks and offer a meal before you start trying to handle him and the chance can be a big shock to them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No offence, but that is not a good setup for a snake. You need to provide a warm area where the snake can hide and a cool area where it can hide.
Thanks I Appreciate it.

So hatchlings do much better in small enclosures and tubs, it helps them feel safer and more secure
In the enclosure pictured he would feel very exposed and nervous.

You should leave him to settle into a new home for 1-2 weeks and offer a meal before you start trying to handle him and the chance can be a big shock to them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Noted! Thank you for your advice & will consider this :)
[doublepost=1520111224,1520111152][/doublepost]
multiple hides would probably be okay for that enclosure, but don't try to handle for the first 4 days at minimum
Yes I agree, I think thats the hard part, actually stopping myself from handling this cute little creature... but yes, noted, thank you for your advice :)

If you just got it yesterday, you should cover the glass for a day or 2 (with paper), take the paper off, then just leave it for a Couple more days.

Edit: not saying you’re wrong as I have no idea about bhp babies, but that’s a darn big 4mth old or maybe it’s just angle of pic :p

Edit edit: not sure if you have one as can’t see, but PLEASE get a sliding door lock

Most hatchies spend their 1st months in a tub where there is limited exposure to the outside world.
You put the animal straight into an enclosure and have your face firmly pressed up against the glass at the end of the most stressful day the snake has had since it came out of the egg.
How do you think its going to respond? Its getting defensive because it feels stressed and insecure. Leave it be, in a low traffic area and let it settle.

If you just got it yesterday, you should cover the glass for a day or 2 (with paper), take the paper off, then just leave it for a Couple more days.

Edit: not saying you’re wrong as I have no idea about bhp babies, but that’s a darn big 4mth old or maybe it’s just angle of pic :p

Edit edit: not sure if you have one as can’t see, but PLEASE get a sliding door lock
Haha thats what all of my flat mates say everyday! Get a lock Get a lock!!!

Yea iL try the cover method. Thank you very much :)

Haha thats what all of my flat mates say everyday! Get a lock Get a lock!!!

Yea iL try the cover method. Thank you very much :)
Won’t be funny when it slides the glass open just by leaning on it ;)

It also makes u not worry about whether u closed the glass or not.. because u put the lock on

On top of what others have said from my experiences bhps will act like that in regards with handling for some time yet, even 2 year olds act that way.

Hi all,

I this is my very 1st snake I purchased from VHS Expo yesterday.
A 4 month old black headed python.

I noticed that I cannot seem to handle him well as he always try to escape or coil up in a defensive pose.
He also twitches or get spooked out very easily when I make sudden movements near his enclosure.

Is this a normal behavior for this age? or should I be worried?
Someone told me at the expo that they get better as they grow older.
I envy watching the older BHPs from the Expo & was freely handled by everybody without any issues.

Check out the photo for my BHP.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks All!
Hanz

View attachment 323509
Can I ask who you purchased him from?

Can I ask who you purchased him from?
I purchased the BHP from "Amazing Amazon" Booth at the VHS Expo 2018. They said this was approx 4 months old.
[doublepost=1520200049,1520199881][/doublepost]
On the plus hanz that’s a nice snake you got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You Very Much DanyJv ... i just hope he/ she remains like this colour... but Im not sure if she will coz I heard they will change to different shades overtime.

It will keep that pattern but it will get a bit lighter in parts and darker on other parts

As a general rule they get darker.
May lose some colour, areas of high black as hatchies tends to wash out as they get older and contrary to the comment above the pattern will likely change as the animal gets bigger.

Some do hold onto bright colouration into adulthood but its not a common occurance unless you go with something that is line bred for specific traits. As an example in most axanthics the white washes out to a bland looking grey but some are now holding their white into adulthood.

May lose some colour, areas of high black as hatchies tends to wash out as they get older and contrary to the comment above the pattern will likely change as the animal gets bigger.

Some do hold onto bright colouration into adulthood but its not a common occurance unless you go with something that is line bred for specific traits. As an example in most axanthics the white washes out to a bland looking grey but some are now holding their white into adulthood.

I was wondering why this BHP I got from the expo was only $250... cfrom Amazing Amazon booth, while the other ones were selling for $400+ to even $1000+

Does this mean the one I got is not as good genetically speaking? Bad pattern than the rest perhaps?
[doublepost=1520215685,1520215650][/doublepost]I was wondering why this BHP I got from the expo was only $250... cfrom Amazing Amazon booth, while the other ones were selling for $400+ to even $1000+

Does this mean the one I got is not as good genetically speaking? Bad pattern than the rest perhaps?

Not neccesarily.
There have been several discussions on this forum regarding some of the commercial outlets and I'm not going to get into that.

I saw that animal and for the price it certainly seemed like a good price for an entry level BHP. (And an attractive animal). I can't comment on its specific genetics as I didn't discuss it with anyone. I don't know why it was priced at 250, maybe they need to make space, maybe its the last one, who knows. There were animals at 400 that for me were more tempting and they were certainly difficult to resist though I was trying to keep my hands firmly in my pocket on the day. It all comes down to what you want and if you are happy to pay what the seller wants. If you are looking for specific traits you will pay more, the most expensive BHP I have was 3.5k and the cheapest 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back