Help from experienced beardie breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

o-Lara-o

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem. I've been breeding beardies for a few years and have never had this problem.
I had a clutch from one of the females that hatched out showing symptoms similiar to a baby with calc deficiency; unsteadiness, lack of co-ordination, however these symptoms were showing straight out of the egg, in the incubation tub!
I have them under heat and UV, they are feeding well on crickets and woodies with calc powder. I have been soaking them, just in case it was skin on the tympanum. They are not all improving.
The mother fell ill just after laying the clutch, where she lost weight and vomited a lot of blood. I did a fecal exam which revealed flagellate infection. I treated her for that and she is gaining weight, she has put on about 230g, almost her pre-breeding weight.
I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the mother that I didn't see prior to breeding. The male has fathered other clutched without problem.
The incubator had other beardie and central netted clutches at the same time, with no problems with those babies.

I'm not sure what is causing this - my vet is not sure either.

Has anyone experienced this?

I am no expert at all but it sounds as tho something may have passed from mum to the eggs. Have you thought of testing the bubs for the same thing or anything else?

Thanks :) I have tested them, and they were pretty clean for parasites.
I'm fairly certain that most parasites aren't passed directly from mother to offspring though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back