Help identifying eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozartist

Reaction score
Hi all you reptile experts. I live on a farm in the Illawarra on the East Coast of NSW. Today when I was walking the dog next to the creek I found some eggs which I suspect are snake eggs. My first thought was black snake as they are quite common around here...I then found out that they lay live snakelets rather than eggs.

I suspect they were buried as they are covered in dirt and unfortunately some of them are quite dented.

They are all quite long except for one undamaged one which is similar to the shape of a birds egg (top left)

I have included a photo of them (next to a AA battery) in the hope that someone on here might be able to identify them and even more hopefully whether they could be hatched somehow for release later. Their average length is 3cm (the undamaged is 2.8cm)

I am a reptile lover but certainly not knowledgeable on eggs. Who knows they could be beardie eggs? or turtle eggs as they are also very prevelant in the area.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mandy

Attachments

• IMG_4723.jpg
    IMG_4723.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 254
After a bit of googling, I have a suspicion they are water dragon eggs and perhaps I'd be best to go back and re-bury them where I found them??? Are they too damaged to survive? I guess it also depends on how long they have been unearthed, but they weren't there yesterday..

They won't be hatching now Mandy. Cut one open and see what's inside

Thanks all for your valuable feedback....first thing in the morning I'll go and bury them near where I found them and try and replicate a dragons nest as best I can. Again, thank you so much for your help.

Poor little guys, I hope at least one of them make it.... but if they dont, that is just natures way I guess.

Reptile eggs are more resilient than most people think, and they just might be viable, although most likely if they were in the sun they'd have been killed before you found them, unless they were already quite a long way through incubation.

Fingers crossed for some babies to come out of them :)

I managed to get a few gecko eggs to hatch after they were carried on a plane in a backpack by a friend. It was several days from when they were found to when I received them. I didn't think they would hatch but figured that if I didn't try, then they surely wouldn't

There is no harm in re-burying them and seeing if they hatch.

Reptile eggs are more resilient than most people think, and they just might be viable, although most likely if they were in the sun they'd have been killed before you found them, unless they were already quite a long way through incubation.

Fingers crossed for some babies to come out of them :)

Yes they were already dug up and on the surface when I found them (one was already split open and no probably not too far through incubation as contents were pretty much just all yolk) I knew that was not where they were supposed to be (yes they were lying in full sun) so I wanted to try and save them.

They are back under the ground now - safe from the sun and foxes. Here's hoping! I believe I did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back