Help in snake removal.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam351

Reaction score
Hi Snake lovers,
I am after any suggestions you may have regarding removal of
snakes. I have recently purchased a run down property that has plenty of rubbish on it ie multiple snake hides. So far I have found 2 red bellied blacks and had one removed by a local snake catcher. I found the other today, sunning itself outside my back door, but it moved under the house before I could call the snake catcher. I have young kids and dogs, so would prefer the snake to find somewhere other than my doorstep. I am also about to start clearing the rubbish piles and I know I will find more. There are red bellied and tigers in this area and I would prefer not to have a close encounter with a tiger. I do not want to hurt the snakes, or be hurt by them, and I am happy to have them caught and removed, but this is only practical if I know where they are when the catcher comes. I have seen the "snake safe" and was wondering if this would be practical. Ionia there are so called repellents, but have seen in your forums that they are not much good. Any advice on deterring/ safe trapping for relocation etc would be greatly appreciated.:D

where do you live? i am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that would volenteer to relocate them for you

Best thing you can do is clean up the property, until you do that it will continue to attract them.

Like Josh said.... get rid of anything that the snakes use as cover. Keep wood piles away from the house, tin sheeting, old cars etc. If your house is on stilts it is a bit hard to keep them out from under it, so reduce the amount of things (junk) they can find cover under/in. If the house (& veranda) is low to the ground, you might want to mesh around the base to stop rodents (and therefore snakes) getting under it.

A few more details wouldnt go astray ;)

i think you have mostly answered your own question regarding what you have to do by making your back yard less attractive for snakes to live there.depending on what state your in there is requirements for the snake catcher to be licenced to relocate snakes,now if the snake is not there when the snake catcher comes isnt that what you wanted ? no snake?
Snakes safes work by attracting the snake into the snake safe,this could be a snake that wasnt on your property but you attracted it there.I havent had much luck with the snake safes i have two of them.

Big bang, I am just outside of Nowra.
Snake pimp - thanks for the snake safe feedback. I was wondering if it would attract more than the one I wanted to catch. Unfortunately the snake has not gone away, but just under the house, it came back again today, same sunny place and time.
CaptainRatbag- the house is on low piers, so very hard to get under and clean. The previous owner was a hoarder, we had at least 60 years worth of daily newspapers bundled up in various places. I caught the first snake in a barrel filled with old papers. I have about 10 sheds, all were filled with junk, most is gone now, but I still have a shed that has who knows what, but includes old mattresses, more paper, barrels, wood etc, so I am expecting to find some snakes in there.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back