HELP I've lost my interest in reptiles!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevalo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to start this but its almost been a year since i got my first reptile, a thick tailed gecko. i was really excited and interested in reptiles when i got him and i could not stop researching and watching videos on reptiles. i started thinking of what i would get next but slowly i have lost my interest in all of it, maybe because i over researched. i still care for my gecko the same but i just wish i could get back into it. I'm going to the castle hill expo in February so hopefully that might help. Any other suggestions?

happens with every hobby I have.. you just loose interest eventually , try looking at getting some more reptiles or frogs to spark your intrest again?

Get out in the bush and see them
Much more rewarding them watching them move in a box

I wouldn't be buying animals that rely on you for their care if you are losing interest, to me that's just bad advice.

Maybe watch some videos, go for a walk and see what you can find or perhaps going to the expo and seeing what other cool things are out there could help.

ok ill give it a go thanks for all the advice:)

A.) Sell it and move on. I had the same problem with fish. Spend probably around a grand on 2 4ft fish tanks with American and African cichlids and recently sold them both (fortunately didn't lose too much money and had them for a year anyway). I just got too into it and then maintenance ended up annoying me.

B.) Create a project. A new, spectacular enclosure that you can throw yourself into and that will become a showpiece for your house. You'll have the satisfaction of seeing your gecko in a really nice environment in something that enhances whatever room it's in.

i am thinking of a breeding project with my thick tail or maybe i should just buy some elapids haha:lol:
thanks guys

It's easy to get bored of something if you're not really doing anything. (For that reason, I cannot understand collecting as a hobby...) I'd go with [MENTION=38010]OldestMagician[/MENTION] 's idea; create a project.

Work out how to set up a larger enclosure, add a water feature, make it prettier or something. If you're not into DIY, then think about maybe breeding or get involved with your local reptile society if that makes you feel more involved. Field days or conservation projects might give you something to do occasionally to spark the interest again. If you are into DIY, but don't know where to start you can check out the DIY threads. Maybe look for other DIY herpers who'd be up for a DIY day?

Some people throw themselves into new things with a vengeance but once the novelty wears off they become disinterested until something different comes along. Others can do likewise but too much of themselves into ne thing and by over-doing it, become burnt out. However, if their interest is genuinely there, they will miss it and come back to it after a break and “recharging the batteries”.

Whether your heart is genuinely in the hobby not, I believe the best thing you can do for yourself and animals currently in your care, it to take a complete break. Take up collecting postage stamps or playing chess for a hobby.... only time will reveal if your passion for reptiles is genuine and lasting. If you don’t miss it, you should not be looking after the animals. If you do miss it, learn from your experience and ease yourself back into it.

Good luck...
Blue

I think possibly an enclosure build or field herring. I have started to get into photography a little with my reptiles and more recently trying to photograph wild reptiles and insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back