Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasskia

Reaction score
Hiya, im a new proud mum of my hatchling Jungle X Jaguar X Darwin carpet python, Sasskia.
I only get her 2 weeks ago and noticed some mites on her bedding (hand paper towels) the other day.

I spoke to a vet (friend of mine) and she recommended soaking her in warm water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent - i also scoured the internet for the best ways to remove mites and this method popped up a lot.

i put her in the clip lock tub (with air vents on top) with the warm water and dishwashing detergent. When putting her in the tub she immediately seemed super distressed and tried to get out straight away. I managed to get her in the tub and left her to soak for 30 minutes.
I then tried to rinse her with warm water to remove any leftover detergent but she wouldn't have a bar of it!
*side note - she has been handled prior to this and was totally fine. I also fed her 6 days ago and she had no problems eating and digesting her meal

I am new to owning a snake and really worried if the detergent could cause her harm (i used the most natural one i could find) if not properly soaked off.

There were a couple of mites in the clip lock tub water, but i can still see some on her body.

She is now back in her little enclosure with a freshly soaked and cleaned enclosure. I also added an extra water bowl in case she wants to soak - as she was trying to soak in the smaller bowl the past 2 days but couldn't fit.

Just wondering and hoping that anyone has any advice, tips or recommendations for me as i would hate to harm her in any way!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Much love, Sasskias (worried) mumma!

you need to take everything out of the enclosure, spray with Snake mite spray,
let it air out for a few hours before putting the snake back in
PUT BACK ONLY THE ESSENTIALS - layered paper for substrate- Water bowl - Hide
you will need to repeat this every couple of weeks untill there are no more mites seen on the paper or snake or in water

you need to take everything out of the enclosure, spray with Snake mite spray,
let it air out for a few hours before putting the snake back in
PUT BACK ONLY THE ESSENTIALS - layered paper for substrate- Water bowl - Hide
you will need to repeat this every couple of weeks untill there are no more mites seen on the paper or snake or in water
Thanks heaps for your advice!

Yeah I only put back her hide, paper towel substrate and an extra medium-sized water bowl (her tub has a small inbuilt water bowl, but she cant submerge in it) - should i maybe take that out?

Latest posts

Back