Help needed with Southern Forest Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I saw my forest dragons mating this afternoon and while i was rapt with the thought 'Thelma' might lay some eggs for the first time, i'm now in a panic, what the bloody hell do i do????????????????????????????
How long till she lays the eggs? Should i have a particular substrate for her to lay them on? How do i incubate and how long for? I really don't want to stuff anything up so i'd love to know what works for everyone else.
I really just want to be prepared so any pre natal help i can get i would really really appreciate.

Thanks everyone,

Simone.

I have been told by reputable breeders that the best way to incubate the eggs is in the same incloser as the lizards are housed.Put a open top container of sand dirt mix in the incloser when she starts showing signs of laying and when she has layed them.just cover the container with a ventilated lid to stop the lizards from stepping on them .hope this helps :)

Ok here goes, spinipes will mate before and after winter, if you are keeping them outside without heat you will not see any eggs untill it gets warmer in spring...however if you heating them indoors you could have eggs in as little as 4 weeks....
Laying substrate I use a light organic potting mix as a substrate for my enclosures which I keep outdoors, this is the same substrate they use to lay eggs because it is easily dug. you will notice straight away if your girl has laid, as she will become very skinny, so you will need to dig around to find the eggs. when you find the eggs like most other reptile, I use either perlite or vermiculite. With the incubation substrate (perlite or vermic) i place into a bowl..fill it up with water untill it covers the incubation substrate, I then grab hand fulls and squeeze hard and place into a sizable plastic container (lunchbox size for 10 eggs. half fill with incubation substrate) when you place the eggs into the container spray lighty with water and thats all you should need to do. incubate your egg cooler than normal reptiles, 25-28 degrees is fine and at the temp will take between 60-70 days to hatch.

Marc

I reckon you'll see your first eggs in about 2-3 months, then every 4 weeks from there.
But if you are heating them, they may lay earlier.
I've heard of the occasional spinipes that will lay eggs in a tub of soilor vermiculite, but it seems that most of them need the entire bottom of their cage filled to at least 4" with soil or coir.
Clip-it tubs work well for incubation, the lunch box sized ones. Vermiculite mixed the standard way. Incubate at around 27C or room temps if it doesn't get hot or cold there.

i have been told by alot of breeders down here in victoria that instead of using a incubator they just place them around the house and move them to a different spot every couple of days as long as the house stays in the mid to high 20s and they have never had a problem with hatch rates

To all who have replied, thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou so much. I have really apreciated all of your help.

Warmest Regards and Thanks,

Simone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back