Help with legality in SA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkinggeko

Reaction score
So yesterday I found a what I’m almost certain is a underwoodisaurs milii (barking /thick tailed geko) outside my shack in the Yorke peninsula (South Australia). The problem was it hand a big scar on its head and it was during a storm where the rain was thundering down and it looked like it was drowning in the water. I took it in and set it up in my critter keeper. I left it alone but it seemed calm (probably shock). Luckily for me I have turtles that I have crickets for and barking geko’s do not require special heating or lighting. But while it was in recovery I was wonder if it’s illegal for me to house it? I’m lucky that none of my other pets are here so no diseases will spread but I don’t think it ready for release. (Sorry I don’t have any photos as it’s sleeping in it’s hide and I don’t want to disturb it). Update: ( photo attached is a temporary set up. It has paper towel to monitor droppings, which he has done! After feeding on some medium crickets.)

Attachments

• 6D652BFC-6F57-43BE-B88C-00E3E4C4C900.jpeg
    6D652BFC-6F57-43BE-B88C-00E3E4C4C900.jpeg
    713.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In W.A it is illegal,here you need to work for a wildlife rehabilitation centre. Looks like you should just have to apply for a permit

Attachments

• 4ACCD8FE-D479-46EB-A2DE-2EE555FDAC39.png
    4ACCD8FE-D479-46EB-A2DE-2EE555FDAC39.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. By chance can you share a photo of your reptiles? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. By chance can you share a photo of your reptiles? Thank you!
I’ve attached a photo of him sleeping. I didn’t realise that they slept with their eyes open so I thought he was just staring off into the distance. But then I remembered they don’t have eyelids so it wouldn’t make sense for them to close their eyes.

So yesterday I found a what I’m almost certain is a underwoodisaurs milii (barking /thick tailed geko) outside my shack in the Yorke peninsula (South Australia). The problem was it hand a big scar on its head and it was during a storm where the rain was thundering down and it looked like it was drowning in the water. I took it in and set it up in my critter keeper. I left it alone but it seemed calm (probably shock). Luckily for me I have turtles that I have crickets for and barking geko’s do not require special heating or lighting. But while it was in recovery I was wonder if it’s illegal for me to house it? I’m lucky that none of my other pets are here so no diseases will spread but I don’t think it ready for release. (Sorry I don’t have any photos as it’s sleeping in it’s hide and I don’t want to disturb it). Update: ( photo attached is a temporary set up. It has paper towel to monitor droppings, which he has done! After feeding on some medium crickets.)
Very illegal unfortunately, you have to have a rehabilitation license in order to take them in and nurse them back to health.

Latest posts

Back