Help with new Stimsons Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfThunder

Reaction score
Hi all!
I’ve just purchased a 6 Yr old Stimsons Python last week with its enclosure. It measures at 1200x400 and I have some questions about heating..

1. Whereabouts should I place the sensor for the heat lamp? I have it lowered to pretty much the middle at the moment but I’m not sure where it should be to get an accurate reading.

2. Does the snakes hide need to be warm? Because the heat lamp is so high above the hide It doesn’t really get warm in there or around the bottom of the tank. Sometimes the snake will bask on a branch directly under the lamp but again I’m not sure what’s actually meant to happen. (Whether only the top half gets warm and the bottom, where the hide is doesn’t. Or if that is wrong all together).

3. What temperature should it be at night and during the day time? Better placement of the sensor would also help with getting the right temp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm a newbie too (have my first python on hold to hopefully collect tomorrow) and still learning. Good questions God ;)
I can't answer any of them myself but I'll be watching this space in case anyone has advice for you!

Latest posts

Back