Help with Ts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krinchley

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Just need some advice. I've got 3 T's of differing species, and all but one are constantly underground. How do I get them to be more surface active so I can see them?
Also all 3 moult underground, will this cause issues?

As the saying goes, "a happy T is a hole". Best bet is to find them out at night or early morning when they tend to be a bit more active but even then, you may not.

No, this is totally normal. A lot of people who keep T’s comment on their “pet hole”. By nature they’re not terribly active creatures anyway.

Which did you get? I find the Phlogius/Phlogiellus to be more on the surface (albeit standing around) and web heavier. The Selenotholus and Selenotypus species are more “lurk in the burrow” spiders (in my experience).

Edit to add: try checking at night when the lights have been off for a bit. They may be out then.

They’ll moult where they can. If they can in the burrow it’s because they feel safer down there (no predators to grab them as moulting can take quite some time).

Got any pics of your set ups? Welcome to the world of T’s :D

Here’s one of my pet holes (P. Hirsutus). This is about the most I’ve seen of it in awhile.

Attachments

• ACF30860-69C0-44B7-93E6-408EBC380BEE.jpeg
    ACF30860-69C0-44B7-93E6-408EBC380BEE.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 11
No, this is totally normal. A lot of people who keep T’s comment on their “pet hole”. By nature they’re not terribly active creatures anyway.

Which did you get? I find the Phlogius/Phlogiellus to be more on the surface (albeit standing around) and web heavier. The Selenotholus and Selenotypus species are more “lurk in the burrow” spiders (in my experience).

Edit to add: try checking at night when the lights have been off for a bit. They may be out then.

They’ll moult where they can. If they can in the burrow it’s because they feel safer down there (no predators to grab them as moulting can take quite some time).

Got any pics of your set ups? Welcome to the world of T’s :D

Here’s one of my pet holes (P. Hirsutus). This is about the most I’ve seen of it in awhile.

Currently I have a Proserpine, Stent and Wallace

Just give them time. They’re all burrow dwelling creatures, spending time on the surface is risky when you can just live in a hole and rush out, grab food and rush back in.

in my experience with my selenotypus she comes out when hungry but not often. they are happier in burrows if you want there's 3 options in my opinion . provide a red headlamp( supposedly it encourages t's to come out or find a clear spot in the side of the enclosure that may allow you to see the inside of its burrow or you can wait till night time wen they preffer to come out. correct me if im wrong

in my experience with my selenotypus she comes out when hungry but not often. they are happier in burrows if you want there's 3 options in my opinion . provide a red headlamp( supposedly it encourages t's to come out or find a clear spot in the side of the enclosure that may allow you to see the inside of its burrow or you can wait till night time wen they preffer to come out. correct me if im wrong.
thats 1 option lol

I live in Denmark and also keep T's, only australian I kept is Selenotypus plumipes but 95% of T's are ambush hunters so no reason to be out and about, often only out when hungry thirsty or kept wrong. I see mine late a night, few legs or all out if lucky

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_115815_547.jpg
    IMG_20211016_115815_547.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back