help worming bearded dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spotlight

Reaction score
can any one help on this topic ive had a few beardeds go down with signs of internal parisites loss of appitite ,wieght loss,unactive,and bloated stomachs, they have mostly been beardeds i have just picked up from interstate by breeders the problem is you dont know if they are captive bred or wild caught animals ,does anyone know a good worming mixture etc that will wipe out all the problem parisites that hit wild and captive bearded dragons as ive tried a few and they dont seem to be any good my original lizards adults and hatchlings are powering but almost all the adults i get around through the adds on the net are dying as listed above please reply if you have hands on advise thank you

Spotlight, it depends on what parasites they have. And the best way to find out is to have a faecal examination performed by a vet. But in any case the most popular treatment is Panacur. This eradicates Nematodes such as roundworms, pinworms and hookworms. Flagyl is used to treat protozoa infections such as flagellates and Amobae.

Both drugs appear to me as being reasonably safe, but its wise to find out the recommended rate per body weight of the animal.

You can either use a dosing needle and squirt the medicine directly down the throat or inject it into a small mouse and feed that to the beardies. The mouse should be small to aid in quick digestion.

If i was obtaining beardies that i suspected were wild caught i would immediately treat them with Panacur and Flagyl(not at the same time though) just to be safe.

I personally find the product "Worm Rid" made by Reptile Science the best...
It is made for lizards...
About $13.00 from reptile pet shops..
I believe herpshop.com.au has it for around this price...

You can do Panacur but it comes in such big bottles (20 litres) it would last 10 years as it is for Drenching cattle and sheep and the dose you would use is so small...It is something like 1ml per 5kgs body weight...
Flagyl is another, although you have to get it from a vet which usually means a consultation...
Please see attached photo of what the bottle looks like...
Hope this helps :D

thanks for replies but ive tried all these forms with no success im starting to think its more coccidia which is normally in bearded dragons untill they are moved to new home or stressed this does not worry them and then it hits them like a bomb and down they go im looking at a product called parazap a natural product no side affects, has anyone had any thing to do with it ,you can read up on it on www.parazap.com looks good

You can do Panacur but it comes in such big bottles (20 litres)
You can buy panacur in 1 litre bottles and in different strengths, 25, 50, 100. Where abouts are you located spotligt? If you are unsure of the problems you should see a vet as they will put a fresh feacal sample under a microscope and treat it accordingly. If you have just paid for some beardies and don't want to pay for a vet then they may end up dying anyway if they are not properly treated.

hi,
i use ivomec for my bluey's and don't see why this won't work for dragons, i intend to use it when i'm ready to worm my dragons, not sure if it will fix yours, but i use it to worm every type of animal we have, including our rats, birds, chooks, snakes and so on, it goes on body weight and can be got at most local vets as it's a sheep and goat wormer, i was into showing birds and was put onto ivomec by a pig breeder who also showed birds, i have used this for over 10 years and know of over 10 other people that use it on different animals with no ill affects,

cheers,
steve..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back