Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldorf/statler

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what’s going on with my eastern water dragon? She is coming up for 3yrs old. We’ve had her since she was a baby. Her tail was broken when she was very young. She was being picked up like we were told to do and something popped. We no longer pick up our lizards by the tail. She gets bugs, usually crickets, mashed fruit and veg, loves mango. Gets wambaroo supplement bout once a week, also vitamins and calcium supplement each week. The past few weeks it’s like her tail tip is drying out, almost like jerky. The male in there is fine. Her tail doesn’t seem painful or bother her at all. A bit of her tail has broken off. The lump at her tail is where it broke. She has limited movement in the tail.

Attachments

• FEEF9C45-EFE2-47E8-B7C3-8887A0E0217A.jpeg
    FEEF9C45-EFE2-47E8-B7C3-8887A0E0217A.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 05676FC9-D62C-4AC8-BCF7-BAF3707CF64C.jpeg
    05676FC9-D62C-4AC8-BCF7-BAF3707CF64C.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F82C8638-51E8-42F7-9DAB-F81376CA109C.jpeg
    F82C8638-51E8-42F7-9DAB-F81376CA109C.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 7C2E1CEC-B5E6-466D-BE94-8B687A05B8A7.jpeg
    7C2E1CEC-B5E6-466D-BE94-8B687A05B8A7.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 8
looks like MBD and a very sick dragon to me, vet will 100% amputate the tail lol, its way too messed up and wont recover. regardless of if she doesnt seem bothered, its probably because she cant feel anything... because its broken and hasnt been able to heal

Do you have enclosure pics/ setup details and close up pics of the male? Im willing to bet the male is stealing all the food and UV and Heat and had a nibble on her tail because it looks like a nice yummy worm

Will probably need isolation from the male into a seperate enclosure, her own basking spot of 40-45c, uv lamp/bar, own food bowl, tub of water etc

how often do they get fed? how much? do you always add supplements?
who the hell told you to pick them up by the tail? this should only be done on larger monitor species who have a very thick strong tail base, This is why

I suggest going to the vets,
a REPTILE SPECIFIC VET:
https://www.aussiepythons.com/threads/reptile-vets-in-australia.218461/

Thank you for your advice. Will take the time to do as you suggested. They live in a 4x4x2 foot enclosure, they seem to happily share the heat rock and I put in 2 seperate food bowls, either end of the tank. They are fed everyday fruit and small veg. She can’t have mealworms as she prolapses, but she’s ok with medium crickets. The pet shop showed us how to help her with that.i know I talk about the pet shop, it is more than that, they also breed their own reptiles, spiders etc. I will isolate her for a while and see if I can get a vet to check her out. I’ve been getting advice from the breeder who breeds a number of lizards and snakes for the local pet shop. He was the one who told me to use their tail.we have only recently moved into water dragons, eg the last few years, but have successfully cared for beardies for around 10yrs. Our 10yr old died a few years back. We have 2 now aged 2 & 3. here are pictures of water dragons enclosure. In the picture she is the one on top/behind. The heat mat they are sitting on is 8x6 inches. I will also look up MBD. And how to help. Thank you again for your help and advise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 6
im not too sure where to begin on this, but this is not a suitable setup for eastern water dragons, however i can tell alot of work went into it
Going to try draw up a pic as it will be easier to explain

UV and heating 12 hours a day

4b20v6B.png

They have a heating bulb, will lower it. The uv bulb is on the floor near their heat pad, they have (I think it’s called) coconut husk about 2” deep also lots of fake leaf litter to hide in. Their water bowl is around 3” deep, I know it needs to be bigger, and am looking for something suitable. Have retaken the photos without the glass in front. The glass is due for cleaning. The first picture is the male the second is the female. The video shows a lizard view of the tank, I’ll lower the heat lamp, get a larger water dish. Increase her calcium and vitamins. And seperate her from him for a while. Will see if I can get her to the vet. (Problem is our vet is basic in reptiles), the closest one we have is like 2 hrs away. But won’t give up on her. Thank you again, and if there are more changes needed will implement them. Will keep in touch about her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 65406666456__4580598E-4678-4725-A0C6-AB444B24CE24.MOV
    3.2 MB