Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
Which herp books/author do you read or use as your bible?
eg, Shine, Hoser, Barker/Barker, Swan plus many more?
I have found Swan to be easy to follow and interesting.
In my opinion, spending some dollars on good reading/reference material is a must, more should do it!

Of course, Swan recognises multiple authors in his book, which is probably why I find it so good to read and useful.

I will have to look out for Richard Davis, I hadn't heard of him.

Harold Cogger, the one and only bible- Shine & Mirtschin jesus's pocket info booklet

I hope my comments aren't considered biased, due to being a sponsor and owning Herp Books. I was a reptile book fanatic long before I owned the book store.

It all depends on what you're interests are. For captive husbandry/breeding, of course you can't go past Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards by Mike Swan. They contain lots of very useful information, but they are designed to be affordable reference guides, rather than impressive collector's items such as Dave and Tracey Barker's "Pythons of the World, Volume One: Australia". Although it's out of print, it comes up for sale a few times a year and is worth the price just for the amazing photographs, many of which are of rare localities/specimens.

The number one book that anybody with even the slightest interest in reptiles should read is Rick Shine's Australian Snakes - A Natural History. This book will make everything make sense...it's due for an update but it's still a very modern book.

If you're looking for a field guide, the only one to go for is A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Swan and Wilson. It's regularly updated, contains every species officially recorded in Australia and is easy to use. There are several state and "area" based field guides too, but they aren't necessarily considered a bible. The latest edition Cogger is now 11 years old and is quickly losing it's place as a relevant reference book.

There is a ton of readily available, out-of-print Australian books out there that are desired though - Ehmann, Wilson and Knowles etc, but they haven't reached the "must have, bible" status of the others I mentioned above.

Cogger IMO is THE BIBLE but sadly it is out of print... cant wait for it to be re published

Richard isn't a herper from what I understand - from memory he is from a medical background and assisted with the toxinology component of the book he co-wrote with Peter Mirtschin.

Pete's book was great in its day but is getting a bit long in the tooth - hopefully he takes a moment from his retirement to publish a revised edition.

jonno what has changed in the last 11 years other then area distributions and sub species or other less signifficant changes is'nt coggers a great overview as a lot in herps have not chnged in many years just inquiring ??

Does'nt rick shine lecture at various uni's in Nsw ??

Sorry, I put them together as they co-authored a few herp books but Davis was more an informant in the toxicology side of it.

(edit) already covered, thanks Jonno

G'day Diprotodon,

From memory...

Pseudonaja nuchalis has been split into three species
Demansia has an extra 4-5 species
Oxyuranus has a new species
Cryptoblepharus has many new species
Egernia has been split into 3 genera, and has several new species
A lot of freshwater turtles have been reclassified, with new species described and old species synonymised.
Several new species of Leaf Tailed Gecko.
At least one new species of Oedura
Two new species of Pygopus
At least one new species of Varanus
One new recognised species of Acanthophis

That's just off the top of my head. No doubt there have been new Ctenotus, Lerista etc described...and I have absolutely no idea what has happened taxonomically with regards to frogs in the last 11 years.

I hope my comments aren't considered biased, due to being a sponsor and owning Herp Books. I was a reptile book fanatic long before I owned the book store.

It all depends on what you're interests are. For captive husbandry/breeding, of course you can't go past Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards by Mike Swan. They contain lots of very useful information, but they are designed to be affordable reference guides, rather than impressive collector's items such as Dave and Tracey Barker's "Pythons of the World, Volume One: Australia". Although it's out of print, it comes up for sale a few times a year and is worth the price just for the amazing photographs, many of which are of rare localities/specimens.

The number one book that anybody with even the slightest interest in reptiles should read is Rick Shine's Australian Snakes - A Natural History. This book will make everything make sense...it's due for an update but it's still a very modern book.

If you're looking for a field guide, the only one to go for is A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Swan and Wilson. It's regularly updated, contains every species officially recorded in Australia and is easy to use. There are several state and "area" based field guides too, but they aren't necessarily considered a bible. The latest edition Cogger is now 11 years old and is quickly losing it's place as a relevant reference book.

There is a ton of readily available, out-of-print Australian books out there that are desired though - Ehmann, Wilson and Knowles etc, but they haven't reached the "must have, bible" status of the others I mentioned above.

And this is the sort of educated/appreciated opinion many of us less experienced herpers are after. Thankyou.
I did find my copy of Barker/s to be a bit of a disappointment though as it neglected Bredli.

I personally find field guides or books such as Coggers boring. And a pet hate of mine is when these types of books dont list the locale of the specimens photographed in their books. My favourite books are Worrells Song of the snake, Canns Snakes Alive, and Shines natural history book.

so not to much difference in 11 years:p

It depends on what angle you are looking at it from. If you're an enthusiast who isn't publishing, or doesn't work in an industry where current taxonomy is important (i.e. ecologist), then it doesn't look like much. There's a reason that Swan and Wilson has been published in 2003, 2008 and 2010 - there's a lot of new stuff!

It depends on what angle you are looking at it from. If you're an enthusiast who isn't publishing, or doesn't work in an industry where current taxonomy is important (i.e. ecologist), then it doesn't look like much. There's a reason that Swan and Wilson has been published in 2003, 2008 and 2010 - there's a lot of new stuff!

I for one will be looking to purchase Swan 2010 (now that you have made me aware of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back