Herp photos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Time for a new thread... was reading in a book (yank) about the strict Australian fauna laws and was surprised to learn that even photographing wild herps is illegal. I was aware that the laws were strict in reference to interfering with herps, even extending to dead specimens such as road kill, but wasnt aware that photographing was considered a no-no (maybe climbing molochs :wink: ). Can anyone verify the illegal status of photographing??
I wouldnt like to break the law but it just seems every time I take a photo of a rock, branch, tree or even the ground, some pesky reptile creeps into the framed shot. Any ideas how to prevent this? It keeps happening :wink:

I am not sure what this law is based on or even if it is enforced but i would really like to know. Seems very strange to embrace biodiversity and australian wildlife and to have a law which allows no photographing. If it is the case i tend to agree with iceman and olivehydra. They just keep butting in. lol. Gold guys!!!!!

As far as I was aware, you are allowed to take pictures without a permit, as long as you don't disturb, move or touch the animal, and as long as the photo's aren't used in a commercial manner, if so, then you need to apply for the relevent permit and may or may not have it granted.

Neil

I can see that point Neil. As long as they are not disturbed, moved or touched. So what about handling a snake while herping. Is that technically considered illegal or it is it generally considered acceptable by most of the members here.

Its illegal to handle wild natives,. I make no comment further to that other than
leave nothing and and take nothing but pictures its a good motto and you can fit a whole lot into the gray areas.

It is not against the law in Queensland to photograph native fauna but you do require a permit to photograph fauna in a National park if the photo taken is to be used for for commercial gain. I doubt that any Park and wildlife would ever consider charging any body with this offence though, as it wouldn't be worth the public slap in the face. There has been a charge laid in the past against a person who interferred with native fauna in order to photograph it though.

It was against the law to "disturb" (including the taking of photos) in WA. At the same time it was legal to kill a snake if you felt threatened by it. I am not sure if this changed recently. You could ask Brian Bush (WA Herp Soc President) about it. These laws were a bee in his bonnet for many years.

I know of several people who have been take to court because of taking photographs of reptiles and I know of some who have been literally interogated for being in possession of photographs of obviously wild reptiles being handled.
It comes down to how a particular officer interprets the rule, to disturb can be simply being close enough to make the snake move from it's chosen path.
I know it sounds absurd but that is the case. Under no circumstances can you pick up a wild reptile, by all means veer right off the road and run them over but don't whatever you do pick one up.

G'day all

I understand that this topic is very sensitive to some and respect the opinions of all, but i believe that these laws are absolutely ridiculous.
i know that these particular laws are there for the protection of the animal and its species but unless the animal is being moved away from the place of capture or being harmed in some way, i see no need in having a law about not handling australian natives.

If the law is in place to stop people from poaching then it still does not justify it. if people are going to break the law then they are not going to worry about minor laws such as these.

To not handle animals in a national park is fully justifyable as the park is essentially a reserve set aside for the protection of it inhabitance, but to say that somebody cannot take a picture in a national park is absurd. Many people come to the park just for the enjoyment of sharing the photo's with other family members. what is the point of having a national park if somebody cannot do this.

I know about reptiles, my children know about reptiles because i taught them just like my father taught me.. not through reading books but by experiencing first hand. if people are going to mistreat or harm an animal then they are going to do this irrespective of whether there are certain laws in place.

By all means have laws against the harming, moving or disruption of habitat of an animal, but simply handling or photographing i do not think is neccasary at all. it will be sad world we live in the day that my children cannot teach theirs about our natural world by handling reptiles.

no heart feelings to anyone :)

would enjoy some reply's as a good debate is always lots of fun.. :D

Cheers

Russ

I don't think you will get much of a debate on this subject, I would imagine the vast majority will agree, the law is ridiculous and pointless.

It would be interesting to hear Jeff's official opinoin....... [waits with baited breath...]

OOps.....I may have broken the law then..... While out 4wdriving last month.... I felt the urge to take some pictures of the native tree's... And the little bugger Reptile Picture Hogs just kept getting in front of the lense. :p... A few Big Goanna's etc..........Shhhssshhh:):)

Ridiculous indeed!

So the next time i see a long neck trying to cross a busy road, dodging the corpses of its fallen comrades, should i just leave it for fear of being prosecuted for "disturbing" a wild native?

Haha, now this is blown right out of context.

Like I said run over it by all means but whatever you do don't disturb it.

As Dave said it is not illegal to take pics in national parks as long as it is not used for commercial gain.
The law was put in place not to disturb native animals to eliminate stress and if handling the animal they belive it may change the direction etc that the animal was heading and there for change the out come for the rest of the animals life. Bit like the domino effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back