Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you manage to take a picture of you and matt snorkling for arafura's dan lol, nice collection of pictures good to finily see them all.

Some awesome photos mate, but some pretty worrying admissions and photos as well. The reason they close Berry Springs during the wet season is because it's common knowledge that large saltwater crocs move in there once the water levels are high enough to accommodate them. I don't mean any offence by it but only someone that is completely clueless about the dangers of saltwater crocs would even think about standing around the waters edge amongst mangroves and the like as you clearly found out, crocs can be, and often are practically impossible to see until it's too late... Next time you visit please take a bit more care with this as another croc attack will only serve to strengthen the current arguments for culling/killing and I'm sure that's the last thing a fellow herp lover would want as a consequence of his/her actions. Whilst I am all for finding herps in the wild and photographing them (it's a favourite hobby of mine as well) it is also illegal in the NT to "interfere" with wild animals unless you have a permit to do so. And, having photos and stories of your mate being bitten on the thumb by an adder raises some questions. Please, continue to travel the Territory and enjoy the things you find, and amaze us with your photos, but on the other hand don't ruin these pleasures for those of us that live here by doing reckless and possibly illegal things while you're here

I thought Greeny was a nickname, but it's an outlook isn't it? :)

Ah I love it how people from the tropics get on there high horse when it comes to crocs. I'm quite aware of Berry Springs' reputation, and the dangers it can hold. This was only in early November when there had been little rain. As you would know, there are gates to block access to the Springs when water levels are low, as they were while we were there. It was all checked out before entering the water, but that is none of your concern. If the authorities would like to chat to me, they know where I live as they already have done so after my previous trip.

Anyway I'm not going to argue, I have no need to justify myself over the other points you have raised, as they are [FONT=&quot]presumptuous[/FONT] and invalid. Think what you wish.
Don’t worry, we didn’t interfere with any reptile. Unless we were cutting there heads off with the shovel. That makes it alright, ask the authorities.
You may think I'm ruining it for other herpers, but you are ruining forums for people like me. I have had a gutful of the politics and jealousy that goes on within the reptile community and this will be my last post on here. I don’t know any half decent herper that actually posts on here anymore because of this exact reason. Reptile people are retards, and I hate this hobby that I am so passionate about, this is why now myself and so many others now just keep to themselves and their circle of friends.

But I thank you greatly for your concern Greeny, it is much appreciated.

Ah yes thankyou for taking those photo's Shane! Although they were taken with my camera, I'll give you credit ;)

Jonno - cheers for that, didnt think it was official. A. praelongus they are.

Last edited:
I was about to say you replyed to 99.9% of APS and forgot me, yeah my hand still hasnt felt the same after useing the cannon only thing that seems to help is useing my nikon lol
I completly get where you are comeing from Dan.

Shane

Ah I love it how people from the tropics get on there high horse when it comes to crocs. I'm quite aware of Berry Springs' reputation, and the dangers it can hold. This was only in early November when there had been little rain. As you would know, there are gates to block access to the Springs when water levels are low, as they were while we were there. It was all checked out before entering the water, but that is none of your concern. If the authorities would like to chat to me, they know where I live as they already have done so after my previous trip.

Anyway I'm not going to argue, I have no need to justify myself over the other points you have raised, as they are [FONT=&quot]presumptuous[/FONT] and invalid. Think what you wish.
Don’t worry, we didn’t interfere with any reptile. Unless we were cutting there heads off with the shovel. That makes it alright, ask the authorities.
You may think I'm ruining it for other herpers, but you are ruining forums for people like me. I have had a gutful of the politics and jealousy that goes on within the reptile community and this will be my last post on here. I don’t know any half decent herper that actually posts on here anymore because of this exact reason. Reptile people are retards, and I hate this hobby that I am so passionate about, this is why now myself and so many others now just keep to themselves and their circle of friends.

But I thank you greatly for your concern Greeny, it is much appreciated.

Ah yes thankyou for taking those photo's Shane! Although they were taken with my camera, I'll give you credit ;)

Jonno - cheers for that, didnt think it was official. A. praelongus they are.

Dan

Frustrating as the unsolicited barbs might be, please remember your posts and pics give joy to many. Don't let them get you down. Forums have plenty of downside, but lots of upside too. Stay with us (having said that, I rarely post for similar reasons!!).

Well said Dan, but to back up adderboy, sucks to lose yet another great herper with interesting and enjoyable posts due to the rubbish that goes on on here! It's just getting ridiculous!!

Sorry to all, I think you may have misinterpreted my comments and opinions. I also greatly enjoy the hobby and have little to no jealousy of anyone wishing to enjoy it. I encourage people to observe and photograph these beautiful animals. Unfortunately many people do come here without the proper information and place themselves at risk. As stupid as it sounds, according to NT Parks simply the act of moving an animal out of a dangerous situation (off the road) can be classed as interfering which was just something I wanted to make people aware of if they weren't already. Like I said initially, amazing photos and thank you for posting them. I simply don't want people acting out of ignorance around crocodiles, too many people have been taken in the last couple of years. Please don't take my comments as criticism, because it was not intended to be

As stupid as it sounds, according to NT Parks simply the act of moving an animal out of a dangerous situation (off the road) can be classed as interfering which was just something I wanted to make people aware of if they weren't already.

That same law also exists here in Queensland. Through just taking photos of the animals that we love so much both Dan, myself and others that have come herping with us have learnt just what is right and wrong through the authorities eyes, and we all know that some of these laws are just plain ridiculous! They would prefer a snake be run over instead of some caring person move it off the road to a safe spot. But these are the rules of the 'higher powers' so we must obey them..
I am the idiot that managed to get myself tagged by the adder and I will admit that it was completely my fault and a result of being too complacent. As someone that keeps elapids including adders I should be well aware of what they are capable of, I have never been bitten by any of my animals yet made a stupid mistake by putting my hand too close to a wild animal and managed to get myself tagged as a result.

Thanks for that Adderboy, I guess it is a case of the minority ruining it for some, considering there was only 1 such comment in this thread.

But Greeny, maybe I did take your post the wrong way. Just came across a bit like a school teacher talking down to a naughty child.
Apart from herping in thongs, I am always safe around reptiles (including crocs). I have spent a lot of time around croc-infested waters in WA where I spent 7 months, NT and Qld. No one wants to know all the safely precautions we take while herping, that’s why I don’t include it. Anyone keen on reptiles knows the dangers crocs possess. And I am **** scared of them (in a way).
I think I'm luckier to be alive after driving almost 20,000km on this trip than hanging around croc infested waters. Higher chance of dying in a car accident.

As Matt said, the laws are the same in Qld as well as the rest of Australia, and it's just stupid. People can kill them and get away with it, and I can save one and get a fine. The authorities know sweet FA about the wildlife in Australia, and are making a piss-poor effort at protecting them. After I was perused by the EPA last year over a photo of me interfering (aka saving from the shovel) with an Eastern Brown, a 1 hour interview asking stupid questions, spending who knows how long collecting & printing off all my photo's I have posted on APS (not touching them) and getting me to identify them (how pointless was that, when they were already labelled?), then letting me off the hook. So all of that was for what? How much time, resources and money was put into that? How about they put that effort into something constructive, rather than harassing reptile enthusiast. I welcomed them to inspect my place to show I don't poach, but they weren't interested.

And yes the wildlife authorities monitor the forums.

APS will only let me post the below content in my old comment, rather than create a new one. Another reason to hate forums haha.

I am always safe around reptiles

Oh wait.... Thats not alcohol and a dangerously venomous snake is it?!
dsc0254ui.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said mate, I had no intention of criticizing either of you for what you do. I was mainly commenting on your statement of "When we were there, the Springs were closed due to it being the wet season, and apparently it’s unsafe, so you were not suppose to enter the water…." followed by photos of you in the water. I, unfortunately do not know you or your experience levels and have only your comments and photos to judge. Your photos truly are amazing but that doesn't tell me anything about your experience levels. It just sounded to me like you disregarded the safety warnings and wanted to flaunt that fact. Maybe I am also guilty of misinterpreting your intent, and commenting without knowing all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back