Herping Help New south Wales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoSwissSnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
As it is coming into reptile season, I wanted to have a go at herping. I’ve never really done it before but I still bump into reptiles. But I need some help. There is a large nature reserve next to my house and I want to know if there are any tips on finding reptiles, like monitors, pythons, blue tongues, geckos etc.
cheers, Kate

I find herps are most active during 11 AM-2 PM, or at least that's how it is at my place so that's when I go herping.
Underneath rocks, logs, and sheets of tin are excellent havens for snakes and lizards. Creeks are great spots for finding frogs, turtles and some snakes. Think about where a reptile is likely to hide or bask and search for those spots. More often then not I will lift up a rock or log with a strong feeling that a herp will be present, and it often turns out to be correct. The first spot a monitor lizard will usually go when it feels in danger is up a tree (or at least that is my experience) so keep an eye out for monitors hanging out in tree branches (often it will see you before you see it). Roads close to bush are also good spots to find herps like lizards and snakes.
I'll do the responsible thing and encourage you not to observe only and not touch anything (not sure about NSW but in QLD it's illegal to touch a wild herp). It's also a good idea to bring a camera and a first aid kit (accidents can happen). For extra information I'll put a link to a previous thread by Waruikazi that provides more in-detail advice.
Best of luck with it mate. I will warn you though that when you start herping it can be hard to stop!

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/a-n00bs-guide-to-herping.160062/

Latest posts

Back